Warm Summer Greetings to All My Friends & Project Supporters!
In this quarterly project update I will provide the latest status on the continuing progress I have made towards solidifying all the logistics and arrangements necessary for next month’s Évian III Student Educational Leadership Conference. Thank you for taking a few minutes to read this report.
Serving as a brief review and to provide both historical and current context, last summer’s “Revisiting Evian” event theme of “Remembering the Past & Plotting a Course for the Future” at the Hotel Royal commemorated, to the exact dates, the 80th Anniversary of the 1938 Evian Conference. The Conference was convened prior to the 1945 formation of the United Nations, after the conclusion of WWII, and was the first ever global attempt to settle an international refugee challenge via Diplomacy.
Last summer, there at the original conference site and within the same chamber, we brought together Human Rights Experts, Leading French & WWII Historians, Academicians, Authors, Government Officials, and International Jewish Leaders. Collectively, we re-examined the magnitude of the “9 days of indifference” which triggered the needless loss of millions of innocent lives, when the opportunity was clearly there to save them.
What has been accomplished in the past 90 Days:
• With the expert educational curriculum development guidance of two prominent Boston USA based leading global non-profit organizations; “Facing History And Ourselves” https://www.facinghistory.org/ and “Reimagining Migration” https://reimaginingmigration.org/, I have solidified an outstanding team of distinguished international educators, who sharing a common committed vision, are dedicated to recognizing the lasting significance of this Conference and its immense current and future educational potential.
• The formation of a talented and well-connected European task force who has cultivated new resources & relationships within the Geneva area; forging strategic & collaborative partnerships with institutions of higher learning and European Corporate leaders who drive social impact.
• Enlisted international student organizations and actual students who will act as the “student diplomats” for this program. This includes the confirmation of the representative from the Dominican Republic, an artulate and energetic college graduate with a degree in International relations. At the 1938 Evian Conference, the Dominican Republic was the only country willing to open their doors providing safe haven to displaced European Jewish refugees.
Why is supporting this event so important?
Witnessing similar levels of complacency of the 1930’s re-surfacing again today, we are again presented with the contemporary challenges of “Building Bridges not Walls”; where understanding that every human being, regardless of their socioeconomic background, race, sex, or religion, has equal value.
If you’ve become weary of people “demonizing” immigrants & recognize this is an issue of International Solidarity where through better understanding the connections between the Past, Present, and Future creates an ideal opportunity to educate the next generation of World Leaders & inspire political action.
Re-assessing the failed framework of this historic 1938 Conference and doing so again on-site in Evian, with the perfect backdrop at the Hotel Royal, students and individuals can apply the lessons learned there and use it as an educational tool; re-examining how as a World Community, we can can learn from our past misjudgments and guide us to do the right thing NOW.
What is the Conference Format & Agenda?
Last summer, we dedicated a WWII Commemorative Bronze plaque and situated it in the same meeting chamber where the original 1938 Conference was held. This year, with your help, young “student diplomats” representing the same 32 original countries are being invited back to learn the complete genesis of the 1938 Evian Conference and apply its’ relevance to today’s world.
Designed to engage students in developing a deeper understanding into current global issues, a Model United Nations teaching methodology will be employed. Broken into smaller committees and assigned to represent their respective countries, these specially designated young adults will learn about diplomacy and international relations via the use of critical thinking, debating, writing, public speaking, and teamwork skills to present educational simulations and participate in a “Mock 1938 Evian Conference”.
The plan is to be placing gold-sealed graduation certificates into the hands of these international “student diplomats” where they will return home as subject matter experts and goodwill Ambassadors; continuing to fight intolerance and injustice in their respective countries.
The long-term goal of this project is for the “Revisiting Evian” Conference series theme to become a yearly internationally recognized event, growing in magnitude, influence, and impact.
What does your contribution go towards?
• Funds required to reserve lodging and accommodations at the Hotel Royal for the distinguished Conference educators and international “student diplomats”, also reservation of the on-site large assembly hall for the Opening Night Ceremonies.
• The design, printing, and distribution of the Évian III Official Event Program and gold-sealed certificates of educational participation, completion, and “graduation” of the specialized training which will be presented to the students at the concluding evening ceremonies.
• Financing key meetings & travel to continue coordinating events; conducting lectures in the US and abroad helping to inform the public about the lasting significance of this historic Conference
• Working with institutions of higher learning in the US and in Europe to establish academic programs, develop educational curriculum, study abroad, student exchange, service learning, & scholarship program opportunities.
• Help to raise continuing awareness and create a deeper consciousness of social responsibility within political, governmental, and global organizations such as the UN in NYC & Geneva
As the Director of a small organization, run exclusively by volunteers, and doing so with very little infrastructure, administrative layers or overhead, your tax-deductible donations go directly towards these programs.
For your Financial Peace of Mind:
This Evian III project has been fully vetted as an approved GlobalGiving project partner for 2017, 2018, & now 2019. Having recently earned the coveted GuideStar “Gold Star” rating for Non-Profits, Sosua75.org is also a long-standing partner of Benevity; the global leader in corporate social responsibility and employee engagement software, volunteering and community investment.
For transactional safety, both the fraud detection/protection and SSL encrypted security software technologies employed for the E-Commerce payment gateway are the latest updated versions.
My Personal Appeal to You:
As we are in the “home stretch” to the Conference, now a mere month away, I’m at a key inflection point in this overall project, having raised only a portion of the overall funds required. With time being of the essence your contributions are urgently needed and especially appreciated.
Ideally coinciding with a current GlobalGiving Fundraising promotion, from the moment you receive this message today until 11:59PM EDT, Friday, August 16th, ALL on-line donations of up to $50 will be matched at 50% by GlobalGiving, effectively enhancing the impact of your contribution.
Having founded this NPO 5 years ago, never would I have imagined the timing of world events coinciding so well with the intention and objectives of this year’s Évian III Conference; that due to a favorable (or unfavorable in this case) combination of circumstances would place all of us in such a positive position to make a real difference.
Without your encouragement and financial support last year’s successful 80th Anniversary Commemorative event would not have transpired. Thank you! We all sense a purpose placed upon our hearts for deeply rooted causes and this, is mine, with the hope of collectively creating a lasting statement, not merely by our words but by our actions.
Please join me in helping to make this year’s event a reality by continuing to financially support this worthwhile program.
Should you have ANY questions, PLEASE contact me, via phone call, Skype, or email
With Deep Appreciation & Warm Regards,
Elihu “Hugh” Baver
Director of “Evian III Student Educational Leadership Conference
Board Chairman of Sosua75.org
SKYPE ID: hugh.baver