Offering food and hot tea to those in need
TEMPORARY HOUSING FOR HOMELESS YOUTH - REPORT II
September - December 2015
Aim of the Project:
The project "Temporary Housing for Homeless Youth"offers on a weekly basis, shelter to our fellow homeless citizens in our Partner Hostel in the center of Athens. This project provides support to people who live on the streets and have to cope with:
- Extreme weather conditions (low temperature, rain)
- The absence of the necessary personal hygiene
- Lack of feeling secureand of personal time
1. Program “Adoption of an Emfasis Social Street Worker”:
In order to make our program run efficiently we proceeded to 2 volunteer adoptions for a total work of 3 months (October – November – December).
a. Adoption of an Emfasis’ Volunteer 1 (Senior Street Worker): 1.200,00 €
b. Adoption of an Emfasis’ Volunteer 2 (Junior Street Worker): 750,00 €
TOTAL COST: 1.950,00 €
2. Securing fuels for Mobile Support Unit (September – December):
a. Daily food receiving from Super Markets and Mini Stores
b. Support Street Work team shifts
c. Implementation of Street Work shifts in Athens and Piraeus
TOTAL COST: 600,00 €
3. We offered temporary hospitality to 21 beneficiaries at our Partner Hotels:
a. 12 Beneficiaries: Temporary Hospitality for 1 night
b. 4 Beneficiaries: Temporary Hospitality for 2 nights
c. 2 Beneficiaries: Temporary Hospitality for 3 nights
d. 3 Beneficiaries: Temporary Hospitality for 4 nights
TOTAL COST FOR 35 BENEFICIARIES: 760,00 €
The beneficiaries who participated in the program were 21 in total.
vMrs L. hosted for 2 nights. She is a refugee from Syria. She was in immediate need to take care of her personal hygiene. During his participation in the program he was motivated to find a shelter after leaving from the hotel.
vMr P. hosted for 1 night. He couldn’t afford to pay his house’s rent and found himself on the streets. We offered him accommodation for 1 night until he gets in touch with an old friend, who afterwards offered him a shelter.
- Mr N. hosted for 4 nights. He is homeless, with a serious health problem. After he discharged from the hospital we offered him a 4-night accommodation, where he had the chance to recover.
- Mrs A. hosted for 2 nights. She was motivated to take care of her personal hygiene and aesthetics and find a shelter after leaving the hotel.
In the meantime, participants received material and psychological support, as well as employment advisory by Emfasis Social Support Corner and continued individual meetings with the Street Work team.
Emfasis' Team of Volunteers
Offering psychological support to a homeless man
Emfasis Mobile Support Unit's equipment
Emfasis' 2nd Mobile Support Unit!
Emfasis co-operates with Google to offer support
Offering basic food items, milk and juice
Offering toys and christmas' joy to a child
Offering first aid to a homeless young man
Offering first aid to o homeless young man - II
The Emfasis' Street Workers offer basic supplies