Thank you so much for your support to our efforts to impact lives of several girl children.
We have been providing care to more than 130 girls for the last 12 years.
In recent months, we have had a couple of initiatives focused on the girl child.
1. We have started conducting awareness programs for girl children regarding their menstrual health and hygiene, issues arising out of adolescence and the prevailing environment in the society. We have been getting experts to the Girls High School to conduct training sessions on these topics.
2. We now have more than 30 girl children who go to College - some in Junior College and some pursuing Bachelors Program in Sciences, Commerce and Engineering. We have appointed tutors for some of our children lagging in Basic Math.
3. 25 Girl Children in Sphoorti Dundigal Campus are provided Digital Literacy classes conducted by volunteers from Cognizant Technology Services on Sundays.
4. We are moving 50 Girl children into their new premises in November. The entire building will be completed in the next three months.
5. We have provided opportunities to some of our girls to learn tailoring and live on their own. We started with donating one sewing machine to Bhavani who completed STD XII this year.
Global Giving has given us a great platform to reach you for support to our girls. They are trying their best to bring laurels to Sphoorti and India and make you proud.
Intermediate Level Children STD XI and XII
Inside New Girls Hostel
Girls Block in Progress
Sep 24, 2018
Update September 2018
By Srivyal Vuyyuri - Director
New building for Girls
Thank you friends for your support to our Campus Project and other campaigns in Global Giving. Through your encouragement, we were able to complete a 25000 sq.ft building in Sphoorti Dundigal campus.
We currently have 207 children and 20 staff members on the campus. With your support, we have been able to provide facilities like a library, a computer laboratory and a sick room along with dining hall and kitchen.
As part of our efforts to comply with stipulations of Juvenile Justice Act, we are building a separate Home for Girls in the left corner in the current campus.
The building has four floors and a total area of 8500 sq.ft. We plan to accommodate 120 girls in that building with a provision for common facilities like dining area, library, lab and a sick room.
There will also be a compound wall around the building with 500 sq yards of open space for girl children to play and spend time in the open. 50 Girls will move into the Ground Floor in the first week of October.
In the recent times, we put our library in order and stacked it with more books in different genres. Now, we have more than 1400 books in our campus. We have also added a couple of new racks to add to the existing furniture.
We have also built a sick room for our children. It has three beds, a set up for doctor visits and a first aid kit.
Aug 27, 2018
Update August 2018
By Srivyal - Director
Thank you for the wonderful support to our children. Through your contributions, Sphoorti is able to provide a wholesome childhood to more than 260 children beyond basic amenities. Our children are able to live in a safe campus as empowered individuals.
Yesterday, we celebrated the most important festival for our kids - Rakshabandhan. More than 100 friends visited Sphoorti and greeted our kids on Rakshabandhan. They also gave a commitment to kids that they would strive hard to safeguard them and help them in their future endeavors
We also had a housewarming ceremony for our new Girls Block last night. The building is costing us more than $200,000 and measures 7500 sq.ft.
The building will house more than 100 girl children with common facilities like bathrooms, library, computer lab and a sick room. It will be ready for occupation in a month's time.