Photo-- Going to School in the Dark
Going to School is pleased to have received funds from GlobalGiving to support the printing of three series of Going to School in India mini books in English, Hindi and Oriya. A set of 10 Going to School books were printed in each language with help from other funders such as UNICEF in India.
• 500 sets of Going to School in India mini books in Hindi were printed which were distributed to 150 government schools in Delhi and NGOs and reached 10,000 children.
• 500 sets of Going to School in India mini books were printed in English for schools in Andaman & Nicobar Islands affected by the Tsunami to reaching over 10,000 children in the islands.
• 45,000 sets of Going to School in India mini books have been printed in Oriya and have been estimated to reach 500,000 children across the state of Orissa.
The 10 Going to School in India Mini Books printed and distributed are:
1. Y is for YAK. Going to School on a Mountain Top in Ladakh, learning English with YAK cards.
2. Jackfruits & Giant Anthills. Going to School in a Tribe, walking in the woods to learn. Gudulur hills, Tamil Nadu.
3. Going to School in the Dark. Girls who work during the day go to school in the dark; they have their own children’s parliament where they decide what they would like to learn. Ajmer, Rajasthan.
4. Going to School on an Island. Kids who change the way their school works in the middle of Dal Lake, Srinagar, Kashmir.
5. Going to School in a Tent. Little Rann of Kutchh, Gujarat. The children of salt-workers go to school in the middle of a mud desert.
6. Going to School in a Wheelchair, outside of Kolkata, West Bengal. Haider goes to school in a wheelchair, wheeled by his three friends.
7. Going to School in a Temple, Patna, Bihar. Kids learn rain-making yoga.
8. Going to School under a Mango Tree, Mirzapur District, Uttar Pradesh. Mango tree parliament, kids run their own children’s parliament under a mango tree.
9. Going to School with Fish. Fishing for facts in Pondicherry, girls ask the fishermen about the fish in their textbooks.
10. Going to School in a Railway Station. Kids go to school on a railway platform in Orissa. Learning with puppets about their lives.
Going to School’s next project also on GlobalGiving is Be! an Entrepreneur, a multi-media project to inspire millions of young people from underpriviledged backgrounds to become entrepreneurs and to create businesses that solve the social, economic and environmental problems they face in their lives.
Photo-- Going to School in a Tribe