Dear Girl Effect Supporters,
Thank you for all of your help in making the Girl Effect the huge success that it has become! To date, the viral nature of this incredible topic and supporting video has helped raise more than $87,000 from more than 1,700 donations. Over the course of many months, the Girl Effect Fund has consistently received one of the largest numbers of unique donations of any project on the GlobalGiving site. We are proud to be a part of such an impactful and meaningful campaign, and want to thank you for your continued support.
With ten projects currently being supported by the Girl Effect Fund, there is a lot of great work to report on. The Fund is currently supporting projects run by BRAC USA, Carolina for Kibera, Inc., Equality Now, Fundacion Paraguaya, the Going to School Fund, Mercy Corps, Save the Children, and Technoserve. Here are some of the highlights from these projects’ most recent updates from the field:
• BRAC opened 4 adolescent clubs in Tanzania, where 100 girls can safely gather and discuss issues that are important to them with each other and with their mentors.
• One woman near Nairobi was trained by TechnoServe and won a number of their competitions for seed funding. She lost her parents at a young age, and was working in a clothing factory to support her siblings and herself. Thanks to the training that she received, she now runs her own business in one of the local markets and has an employee. She now teaches other community members how to build their own businesses and do their own accounting.
• Save the Children’s project staff will be working with a minimum of 5,000 girls and the financial sector in Bangladesh to develop safer savings and investment options for the girls. The project will explore both individual and group savings and investment mechanisms.
• At the end of November, Carolina for Kibera, Inc. held its annual “CFK Day” in Kibera, with more than 5,000 youths in attendance. In a day of fun that went from 7am until 9pm, many of the youths participated in a community forum, a talent show, sports contests, and an award ceremony for emerging young leaders within the community.
• The Going to School Fund is supporting a multimedia campaign - 13 movies, 50 books & 15 part radio series to inspire young people from underprivileged backgrounds to choose to become entrepreneurs to solve the social, economic and environmental problems they face in their lives. Attached here is one of the animation videos of the campaign.
Thank you for your support of all this wonderful work! We are very proud of the amazing work our partners on the ground are able to accomplish with the help of your continued, generous contributions.
The GlobalGiving Team