GlobalGiving.org, the first and largest global crowdfunding community for nonprofits, is looking for a software engineer that's
passionate about making the world a better place.
Using a mix of front and back end web development skills, you will be a part of a team that designs, codes, and oversees projects that make a positive
impact for millions of people around the world. You will help us question our assumptions, think of our users, and continuously improve our website and
You'll have the opportunity to work with a wide range of technologies and collaborate with a diverse team.
Day-to-day tasks include Java and web programming, user interface design, project management, bug fixing, analytics,
customer service, and limited server and database administration.
Each team member brings a range of complementary skills to help us achieve success, and together we manage the full stack of web development for the organization.
You will work on a range of web and software development activities, and we encourage focus and growth in areas that interest you.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone's opinions and ideas are valued. We're committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to
learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how
we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous
improvement, this position is right for you.
- Programming: Our website is built on Java, Struts 2, Spring, iBatis, MySql, and a lot of trial and error. Help us iterate and evolve the code base!
- Multi-Task: We always have a dozen different things going on. You'll need to balance long-term projects, several small feature requests, and an urgent bug fix or two. Experience working in a Scrum environment a plus.
- User Experience: Improve the experience of our product for all users, including donors, project partners, corporate partners, and staff.
- Numbers: We'll need your help analyzing our website performance to figure out what's working, what's not, and what we can do to improve.
- Continuous Improvement: Research and identify new technologies, tools or techniques that improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving's website or operations/processes. Help us know what we don't know.
- Customer Service: Customer service is not a key focus, but it's a great way to learn while "wowing" our customers, both internal and external. Each member of the team shares this responsiblity by taking a weekly rotation for site upkeep and maintenance.
- Motivated Self: Bring your own sense of humor, desire to change the world, and love of <fill in the blank>
To be a great fit for the team (and for our team to be a great fit for you):
- 3+ years of relevant work experience, Bachelors Degree (or higher) in computer science, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Java programming using sound OO principles.
- A love for shipping software frequently, helping users, and improving upon what you've built.
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to other's ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- Proficient organizational skills, creativity, and flexibility; comfort building and maintaining systems.
- An ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Enough knowledge of Linux, Apache/Tomcat, and MySql to be trusted with sudo access.
- Passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving and commitment to our core values.
Salary range will depend on skill and experience. Benefits include flexible work hours, a family-friendly culture, telecommuting, a fully loaded MacBook, and a meaningful job
where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped rescue 97 girls from bonded labor in Nepal." (One of many true stories.)
And don't worry - we've also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, and paid vacation.
This is a full time position. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States, however this position can either be based in our convenient Washington DC office or based remotely.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
How to Apply
Interested? Great! Apply using the button below.
Apply for this Job
Engaging or unique cover letters are welcome, but are not required. If you were thinking of making a copy-and-pasted cover letter, we kindly ask that you instead spend that time looking through our site and telling us what your favorite project is and why.