Do you want to use your financial skills to do more than just balance books? Would you like to know that your acumen is being used to have a triple bottom line impact on nonprofits in 170 countries?
GlobalGiving is looking for a Senior Accountant. This position reports to the Senior Director of Finance and will help ensure all financial accounting functions are completed accurately, prepare interim financial reports, and manage periodic compliance reporting. GlobalGiving seeks a candidate who can work independently, who approaches work with a high level of conscientiousness, thoughtfulness, and quality, and who will relish the opportunity to support and actively contribute to a growing organization and dynamic team.
The successful candidate will bring a learning orientation to the role and display curiosity, resourcefulness, and entrepreneurship in the achievement of the position’s goals. Your work in this role will make a direct, positive impact for millions of people around the world.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s input and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
- Ensure the accuracy and timely completion of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, staff expense reports, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, volume and advisory check deposits, collections, payroll, fixed asset records, etc.
- Safeguard assets and assure accurate and timely recording of all transactions by implementing internal controls.
- Monitor restricted grants and maintain clear reporting, tracking, and reconciliation of each.
- Oversee all bank, 401K and merchant account activity.
- Maintain and balance general ledger, including chart of accounts, segmentations, grant expenditures, and cost pools.
- Reconcile operating, restricted, inter-company, and subsidiary transactions through internal financial statements.
- Coordinate accounting matters with other functions; resolve any discrepancies/disputes.
- Develop, and issue monthly and quarterly financial reports for management, identifying, analyzing, and summarizing trends/information to aid management in business strategy and decision-making
- Provide financial analysis tools to evaluate new initiatives or special projects, programs, capital expenditures, products costing, etc. when necessary
- Guide team to manage bookkeeping, recordkeeping, and internal controls including maintaining policies and procedures documentation. Keep GlobalGiving in solid standing with GAAP and governing authorities.
- Support annual audit and tax process to timely completion with unqualified opinion, ensuring all management recommendations are resolved.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements, ensuring all registrations and charitable certifications are completed, accurate, and filed on time, including but not limited to state registrations.
- File 1099s annually and ensure all necessary W9 forms are on file
- Stay abreast of accounting rule and regulation changes and serve as organization resource on accounting and finance matters
- Manage document retention policies and conduct periodic file and archive audits to ensure good standing.
- Perform other duties as required by the organization and management
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- 5+ years progressive accounting experience, with an academic background in financial accounting; CPA certification and experience with non-profit and fund accounting strongly preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Excel; Proficiency with Netsuite ideal; Experience with MS Access and/or MySQL a plus
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills; strong organizational and management skills
- Ability to multi-task in fast-paced environment productively, with attention to detail and minimal supervision
- Strong project management skill and service orientation with GlobalGiving staff, vendors, and partners
- A passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving, the vision to help us advance it, and commitment to our core values
This is a full-time position based in our Washington DC office.
Benefits include flexible work hours, a family-friendly culture, fully-stocked refrigerator with drinks, a convenient downtown DC location, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped rescue 97 girls from bonded labor in Nepal" (one of many true stories). And of course, we've also got you covered with benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, 25 days of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and much more.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.