Manager of Global Grant Programs
GlobalGiving is the first and largest global crowdfunding community for nonprofits, a leading disaster response platform, and a key partner for companies from Apple to Zola. As a 501(c)(3) charity, GlobalGiving operates as a public grantmaking foundation and we are recruiting a proven grants management professional to advance our advisory role in the philanthropic sector. The Manager of Global Grant Programs will curate trust in the GlobalGiving community by providing expertise in awarding charitable funds to both domestic and overseas entities.
GlobalGiving grantees are primarily internationally-registered nonprofit organizations. However, this position will also oversee funding for innovative projects led by the new faces of development, including social entrepreneurs and benefit corporations. The Manager of Global Grant Programs must be curious, willing to take on new projects, and able to navigate the often sensitive relationship between risk and impact in grantmaking.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s input and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, then this position is right for you.
Works directly with Business Partnerships Managers to design and execute global grant programs in partnership with institutional donors (such as private foundations, donor advised funds, and companies).
- Deliver against scopes of work and oversee expected milestones across multiple international grant programs
- Maintain program documentation, such as grant schedules or funding guidelines
- Develop content and online resources in support of grant program execution e.g.: LEARN articles, Grantee Toolkit edits, and webinars
- Provide advisory support to GlobalGiving donors regarding tax and legal considerations when working with an intermediary
- Monitor community engagement and communication response rates/ratings needed to support grant program demands
- Support new strategic business and program partnership opportunities related to grantmaking
Grants Management and Nonprofit Compliance
Typically oversees an annual portfolio of 200 donor-directed grants across multiple regions and programmatic themes, with support from Associates and Fellows. Acts as an internal expert on global regulatory grantmaking guidelines
- Moderate grant proposals against specific funding guidelines
- Define appropriate Grant Agreement terms and conditions that address any risks identified during due diligence review and/or project proposal review
- Schedule payments and work with Disbursements Team to confirm receipt of funds
- Develop strong relationships with grantees and resolve unexpected conflicts that arise during the grant implementation period
- Design both standard and innovative grant reporting requirements that deliver meaningful storytelling or impact data to GlobalGiving donors
- Update internal grantmaking policies based on external regulatory changes, enterprise risk management needs, or programmatic demands
- Issue closeout letters to non-compliant grantees
- Participate in sector-wide working groups, such as PEAK and GEO, while leading internal working groups, such as our monthly Grants Manager Roundtable, to share learnings from various grantee portfolios
- Collaborate with GlobalGiving’s Field Team to identify and schedule grantee site visits for monitoring and evaluation purposes
- Collaborate with Operations team to ensure enterprise-level compliance of grantmaking activity and practices
Systems and Data Management
Provides product leadership on GlobalGiving’s proprietary online grants management system (GG Grants), including:
- Oversee creation of new GG Grants programs and their system requirements, ranging from custom reporting questions to custom email communication
- Generate grant program reports and dashboards in either GG Grants system or Metabase for use by interdepartmental teams to track vetting and grant activity against service level agreements
- Train staff across departments on how to use the database to get the information they depend on for partnership and/or enterprise management
- Evaluate, develop, and implement grants management workflows and processes to improve efficiency and accuracy of program execution
- Collaborate with Evidence and Learning team to ensure grant data generates new insights, tests GlobalGiving’s theory of change, and improves our own work to transform aid and philanthropy
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- 5+ years of demonstrated grants management experience and/or program management experience in a global context
- Experience working within US/UK nonprofit compliance requirements and best practices for domestic and global grantmaking by private foundations and public charities, including equivalency determination and expenditure responsibility
- Familiar with country-level requirements to receive foreign funds, including but not limited to anti-money laundering (AML) regulations and permissions to receive foreign contributions (FCRA)
- Experience working with an online grants management database
- Understands our multiple constituents (institutional donors, GlobalGiving internal grant programs, grantees) and considers all when managing program change
- Comfortable in fast-moving, ever-changing environment
Salary + Benefits
This is a full-time position and reports to our Senior Manager, Vetting and Grants Management. We welcome candidates who want to work in our Washington, D.C. office. Salary range is $65k-$80k, negotiable based on skill and experience.
Benefits include flexible work hours, remote work options, a family-friendly culture, fully-stocked refrigerator with drinks, a convenient downtown DC location,
and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped 182 girls go to school for a year" (one of many true stories).
And don't worry - we've also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, 25 days of paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, and more.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.