Head of Technology
This is a remote position.
Our client is a non-profit organization based in the United States. They provide a global crowdfunding platform for grassroots charitable projects around the world.
Our client is looking for a Head of Technology with 15+ years’ experience to join their team. The ideal candidate has prior strategic leadership experience, good knowledge across a broad range of tools, technologies and platforms, and a deep expertise in software architecture and modern software engineering best practices. This person should be passionate about building complex, enterprise-class solutions at scale.
This role offers the opportunity for a proven technology leader to lead software engineering transformation and guide the vision and strategy for the client’s future tech stack, tools and systems. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
This is a remote position, available to U.S. candidates only.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the VP of Product and the executive leadership team to plan, execute and deliver strategic projects and product roadmap deliverables.
- Provide oversight for multiple application portfolios and technical infrastructure, including hardware, software, data systems, analytics, networks, and other facilities needed to develop, test, deliver, monitor, and secure applications, services, and environments.
- Partner with technical leaders to guide the long-term engineering vision and strategy to deliver a scalable, maintainable, modern, and secure architecture across marketplace website, multiple internally facing proprietary systems, and off-the-shelf solutions.
- Lead the development of the technical strategy to develop and maintain a technical roadmap that ensures systems and infrastructure are well-positioned for the next decade of growth.
- Assess current technology stack and lead any changes to frameworks, technical specifications, infrastructure, and product development approach for client’s next-generation platform.
- Lead team of local and remote technical leads through all phases of the SDLC.
- Empower others to solve complex technical and business problems and fosters a cohesive and inclusive culture that is data-driven, and customer-centric, and builds products and features in a way that allows quick learning through early feedback and continuous improvement.
- Oversee the functionality, security, and accessibility of all computer and tech infrastructure resources.
- Assist with strategic build/partner/buy and vendor selection decisions.
- Manage overall tech team budget, including headcount, consulting spend, software subscriptions, equipment costs, and professional development.
- Communicate with the Board and other key stakeholders on the technology team's state and use metrics to identify areas that need support.
- 15+ years of software engineering experience with deep knowledge of architecture and engineering standard methodologies.
- Previous experience in senior strategic leadership positions, with demonstrated success leading product portfolios that have achieved significant scale.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage, and lead the development of large-scale distributed systems and consumer-grade applications from the ground up.
- Deep knowledge of software architecture, modern cloud computing tech stacks, and experience deploying microservices at scale.
- Proven ability to define technical strategy and architecture using industry-leading frameworks.
- Experience with contemporary software development methodologies such as Agile and proven track record of delivering substantial quality and velocity improvements.
- Ability to balance the delivery of long-term goals and short-term objectives.
- Experience hiring, managing, and mentoring technical leaders.
- Strong technical background and experience improving and modernizing digital products across a broad range of technologies (e.g., web applications, eCommerce, mobile, desktop, SaaS, multi-side marketplaces, APIs, and other integration technologies).
- Demonstrated success building products with in-house software development teams and with 3rd party vendors.
- Excellent knowledge of IT operations and experience guiding business leaders to make sound decisions on IT investments and prioritization.
- Strong analytical abilities, including experience with build/buy analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to implement the right processes to give teams the structure and guidance to be successful.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with experience developing a culture of ownership and accountability.
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, fast-paced environment requiring a high degree of productivity, adaptability, innovation, and follow-through.
- A deep passion for delivering great products and proven ability to drive excellence in the codebase.
Nice to have:
- DevOps certification or equivalent experience
- Experience managing a geographically dispersed team
- A commitment to the core values of Listen, Act, Learn, Repeat
- A passion for working at a non-profit organization
Salary + Benefits:
Salary: $175,000 - $200,000 USD
- Flexible work hours
- Remote work
- Generous time off
- Professional development opportunities
- Health benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, Life)
- Paid family leave & sabbaticals
Applicants must reside in the United States. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have legal authorization to work in the United States for the duration of this permanent position. Our client does not sponsor employment visas.
In efforts to safeguard the health of employees and their families, our requires all employees to adhere to their Vaccination Mandate policy upon their start date. New employees working remotely who will have occasional contact with the office and/or co-workers will also be required to be fully vaccinated.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in their organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.