Director of Product Management
Are you passionate about creating easy-to-use products that delight customers? Do you thrive in an environment where you can collaborate and be analytical? Do you want to work on a product that actually makes an impact on people's lives?
GlobalGiving is looking for a Director of Product Management to help us create innovative products that will unlock our next 10 years of sustainable growth.
Using your product management skills, you will be a part of a team that designs, codes, and oversees products that make a positive impact for millions of people around the world. You will help us question our assumptions, think of our users, and continuously improve.
You will be responsible for conducting customer discovery, user testing, observational studies, product requirements, specifications, project management, user acceptance testing, and sprint planning. You should be passionate about designing and analyzing complex systems and products, should thrive in an environment where you can manage multiple projects at once, and want to work for an organization that’s making an impact on people’s lives.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s input and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
- Strategy: Work with the Chief Product Officer to define a winning product vision and strategy. Clearly articulate the product vision, building understanding and cultivating enthusiasm within the organization, as well as compiling the product planning material necessary for driving product initiatives further with clarity and consensus.
- Leadership: As a member of the extended management team (X-team), you’ll have a seat at the table to help steer the organization. Using your superb communication skills, ensure that our product plan is supporting the organization’s strategy, and that the organization understands the product vision to help set the strategy. Partner with engineering, design, operations, and other teams to inspire alignment and action across the organization.
- Product Management: Own and manage several key products within the organization, including internal and financial systems that allow us to send $100M+ to our nonprofit partners in 180 countries. Help us define new visions for what is possible with these products, and work with the team to make them a reality.
- Team Management: Manage our Product Manager(s) and maintain a culture of innovation, respect, and trust. Recruit, train, manage, develop, and retain employees.
- Ideation: Help lead the creative process of generating, developing, and curating new ideas. Help determine which ideas should be promoted into features to push the product strategy forward — namely those that will achieve key objectives for the product line and business. To this end, also ensure that feedback and requests are seamlessly integrated into their product planning and development processes.
- Communication: Be an excellent active listener to hear what user needs are, and communicate the status of ideas, projects, and products to customers, partners, and internal team members. Bring evidence-based decision-making to your communication. Be able to say “no,” but explain why in terms that stakeholders understand.
- Feature Backlog: Define the requirements for each feature and the desired user experience. Prioritize features by ranking them against the strategic goals and initiatives. This requires making difficult trade-off decisions based on the value that new features will deliver to customers and to the business. Work closely with engineering on the technical specifications and ensure that teams have all of the information they need to deliver a complete product to market.
- User Experience: Improve the experience of our product for all users—including corporate partners, internal users, project partners, and donors—by simplifying processes, questioning existing workflows, and simplifying/improving interfaces. You don’t need to be a graphic designer, but you should know user experience best practices and be able to whiteboard out a first draft that adheres to them while brainstorming solutions.
- User Testing: Conduct user tests with external and internal stakeholders, identifying opportunities to develop new products, features, and improvements to our products.
- Agile Leader: Use Agile and Scrum to plan and manage sprints, roadmaps, backlogs, and release notes.
- Continuous Improvement: Research and identify new frameworks, methodologies, or techniques that improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving’s website or operations/processes. Help us know what we don’t know. We’ll send you to conferences and other professional development opportunities to assist.
- Customer Service: Customer service is not a key focus, but it’s a great way to learn while “wowing” our customers, both internal and external, and performing your share of daily site upkeep and maintenance.
- Motivated Self: Superb self-management skills and ability to work in a fast-paced while bringing your own sense of humor, desire to change the world, and your passion for <fill in the blank>.
- Other Duties: Perform other duties as required.
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- 7+ years relevant work experience, Bachelor's Degree in any field that you can apply to this job (business, philosophy, engineering, computer science, economics, accounting, international studies, or similar), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience leading B2B or SaaS software products to market that have achieved significant scale.
- Exceptional product sense and strategic thinking; demonstrable ability to synthesize deep empathy for customers an analytical insights into a disciplined strategy across personas, segments, and use cases.
- A love for shipping products frequently, helping users, and improving upon what you've built.
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others' ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- Excellent organizational skills, creativity, and flexibility.
- Comfort conducting user studies and talking to people to understand their needs.
- A passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving, the vision to help us advance it, and commitment to our core values.
In addition, the ideal candidate would also have some or all of the following qualifications:
- A strong passion for people leadership, with experience recruiting, mentoring, and scaling a team of Product Managers
- Experience managing projects that focus on integrating systems and data
- Experience working on API-based products
- Experience with banking or accounting systems, financial technology, and accounting concepts
Salary + Benefits
Salary range: $110k - $135k
Benefits include flexible work hours, remote work options, 5 weeks of paid time off per year, professional development opportunities,
and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped 182 girls go to school for a year" (one of many true stories).
And of course, we've also got you covered with benefits like health care, dental/vision, paid family leave, paid sabbatical, commuter benefits, and 401K.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Chief Product Officer and will be filled remotely for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic. Once in-office operations can safely resume, this role can either be based in GlobalGiving’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. or continue to operate remotely.
Applicants must have U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent residency.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.