Director of Marketing
GlobalGiving, the first and largest global crowdfunding community for nonprofits, is looking for a Director of Marketing to help us grow our brand and take our marketing strategies to the next level.
The Director of Marketing is a data-driven marketing expert who leads the Marketing and Communications team at GlobalGiving. They are responsible for setting the marketing strategy for the organization, achieving fundraising goals, and improving brand recognition. Your mission will be to increase awareness of GlobalGiving, drive traffic to the web site, improve conversion rates, and help communicate our value to our different audiences.
As part of the role, you will help us discover new opportunities to grow our brand, bring data and market analysis insights to discussions, and develop fully integrated marketing strategies for each our customer bases: donors, nonprofits, and companies. You will also manage the day-to-day marketing operations of the marketing team, helping us maintain a culture of respect, trust, and openness where innovation is welcome and it's not risky to raise ideas and concerns.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s opinion and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our team. If you’re passionate about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
- Marketing Strategy: Develop and oversee the implementation of the marketing strategy for the organization and for individual teams. Research, develop and execute digital marketing, communications, and media relations campaigns with the support of the marketing team. Oversee the design of test/control segmentation, implementation of tests, tracking, reporting, analysis, and recommendations for improvements. This position is the primary owner of donor marketing (B2C) and will guide, influence, and collaborate with other internal stakeholders to direct marketing efforts for companies and nonprofits (B2B).
- Team Leadership: Manage the marketing team and maintain a culture of innovation, respect, and trust. Recruit, train, manage, develop, and retain employees, including the Senior Digital Marketing Manager and Senior Content Marketing Manager. Collaborate with the Director of Communication to ensure brand consistency and department goals are met.
- Revenue Growth: Oversee and grow marketing revenue, consistently identifying revenue opportunities within our established channels and using data to identify new market opportunities.
- Growing Brand Recognition: Conduct ongoing brand positioning and market analysis. Lead brand assessment research and recommend and implement improvements to increase brand awareness.
- Product Marketing: Work closely with the Product team to develop products and marketing strategy to support growth and adoption by users.
- Market Analysis: Conduct general market research to keep abreast of trends, consumer preferences, and competitors’ marketing movements. Identify product improvements, gaps, and opportunities for growth.
- Budgeting: Achieve financial objectives by preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective actions.
- Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat.: Help us design, run, track, analyze, and report on marketing experiments to find out what works for our users (and help us identify our failures).
- Knowledge Sharing: Share best practices both with our staff and with peers at other non-profits such as DonorsChoose.org, Kiva, and charity:water. As a part of this, keep up-to-date with best practices in the industry and integrate learning into our strategy and tactics.
- Being on the Cutting Edge: Research and identify relevant new technologies, social networks, tools, or marketing tactics, that can improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving's digital presence or provide us with significant opportunities to motivate our users.
- Disaster Response: Develop and lead the marketing and communications response to natural disasters and humanitarian crises as part of the Disaster Recovery Network at GlobalGiving. Take a leading role in helping GlobalGiving implement and enhance GlobalGiving’s disaster fundraising plan.
- Public Relations: Represent the organization to external stakeholders, potential clients, and strategic partners. Take a leading role in public relations crisis management.
- Media Relations: Build and maintain and relationships with journalists, write press materials including press releases, media talking points, and op-eds. Pitch stories, and respond to media inquiries. Act as GlobalGiving’s spokesperson, or support the team as they speak on behalf of GlobalGiving.
- Writing and Editing: Maintain the GlobalGiving style guide, write and edit and approve content for the website and other media.
- Bachelors or masters degree in marketing, communications, international development, business administration, or related field.
- 10+ years of relevant experience, either nonprofit marketing and/or product marketing.
- At least 3-5 years of experience managing and growing a successful marketing team.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to spot original branding opportunities.
- Analytical and creative thinking.
- Knowledge of current marketing techniques and best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional self-motivation and self-direction.
- A commitment to GlobalGiving’s core values, a sense of humor, and the desire to change the world.
Benefits include 5 weeks of paid time off per year, professional development opportunities, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped rescue 97 girls from bonded labor in Nepal." (One of many true stories.) And don't worry—we've also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, and 401K.
This position is based in our Washington, DC office and reports to the Chief Product Officer. The Director will serve on GlobalGiving’s management team and will lead the cross-functional Marketing and Communications team within the organization.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.