Chief Program Officer
Washington, DC or Remote (US)
GlobalGiving seeks a Chief Program Officer to lead our transformation to become more
community-led ourselves and drive significantly more funding to nonprofits and community
leaders around the world, in a way that protects their accountability to their communities.
In this role, you will be responsible for setting a strategy to provide a world class experience
that attracts and retains more nonprofits and social change agents as partners. This strategy
will be deeply informed by those partners. You will help us amplify the voices and
perspectives of our partners and build shared ownership with our community.
You'll have the opportunity to lead a talented (and growing) team of experts in programs,
disaster recovery, vetting and grantmaking. You will bring a deep understanding of the
historical underpinnings of aid and giving, and you will help us frame our work in a new paradigm.
- Set a strategy to help GlobalGiving make its mission a reality.
- Lead the organization in efforts to become ever more community led: sharing power with our nonprofit community, co-creating and implementing responsive feedback loops.
- Spearhead the development of core programs that are aligned with GlobalGiving's mission, have strong business models and clear value propositions for relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that programs are structured to encourage equity and inclusion, and explicitly seek to center our partners’ voices, and dismantle historically discriminatory and colonialist frameworks.
- Lead programs, vetting, grantmaking, and disaster response toward an ultimate goal of world-class performance in GlobalGiving's core offerings and a world class experience for nonprofit partners.
- Establish programmatic, team and staff goals, and track results against these goals.
- In coordination with the CEO and executive team, play a key role in strategic planning and organizational management. Participate in the budget development process and maintain a high level of fiscal responsibility.
- Drive critical thinking, self-reflection, and innovation; ensure that GlobalGiving has - and uses - the best business intelligence available, and thinks and acts with a creative mindset at all times;
- Turn present - and yet unimagined - opportunities into opportunities to drive partner recruitment and retention;
- Diversify GlobalGiving’s programs and products and discover promising new economic models by cultivating innovation and engaging stakeholders.
- Directly supervise several high-performance directors and managers and coordinators, working closely with the executive team to shepherd their professional development.
- Represent GlobalGiving on relevant group initiatives, as well as at speaking engagements, conference panels and training, to advance our goals to influence the sector to adopt community-led approaches
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- Direct, deep, sustained engagement and collaboration with nonprofits working on hard-to-solve problems.
- Deep belief in power-sharing and community-led approaches as more equitable and impactful.
- Experience leading grantmaking and/or vetting and/or disaster or humanitarian response.
- Experience supporting systems development
- Demonstrated experience in progressively responsible management and leadership positions;
- Demonstrated familiarity with the nonprofit and/or international development landscape;
- A committed and effective communicator with excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience building, partnering and maintaining strong and sustained relationships with a variety of donor types, corporations, foundations and others;
- The ability to communicate ideas effectively, to listen to others' ideas, and to collaborate to arrive at great solutions.
- Excellence in working effectively both with diverse groups and independently; demonstrated initiative and creativity in problem-solving;
- Track record of successfully and effectively managing complex global programs with the ability to leverage strengths across the organization;
- Experience living/working in the Global South would be advantageous;
- Curiosity, drive, discernment, humility, passion of purpose;
- A passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving and a commitment to our core values
In addition, the ideal candidate would also have some or all of the following qualifications:
- Experience in a direct programmatic context as a leader of programming.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in business, marketing, or comparable field.
- A continuous learning orientation (as demonstrated through professional development experiences).
- A self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
Salary + Benefits
Starting salary range: $175k to $190k.
Benefits include flexible work hours, remote work options, up to 5 weeks of paid time off per year, professional development opportunities, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped more than 700 kids get their essential health and educational needs met." (One of many true stories.) And of course, we've also got you covered with benefits like health care, dental/vision, paid family leave, paid sabbaticals, commuter benefits, and 401K.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Chief Executive Officer. This role will be anchored in GlobalGiving’s headquarters in Washington, D.C. but could be based anywhere. Frequent engagement with teams on the East Coast will be required.
GlobalGiving is working with Bridge Partners to help fill this role. Applications and questions should be sent to Tory Clarke at email@example.com and Debbie Tang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In efforts to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, GlobalGiving requires all employees to adhere to the GlobalGiving Vaccination Mandate policy upon their start date. New employees will be required to be fully vaccinated upon their start date, if expected to work from the office. New employees working remotely who will have occasional contact with the office and/or co-workers will also be required to be fully vaccinated.
Applicants must reside in the United States. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have legal authorization to work in the United States for the duration of the position. GlobalGiving does not sponsor employment visas.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.