Associate Communications and Marketing Director UK & EMEA
Are you passionate about making the world a better place? Are you seeking a way to apply your media-savvy, marketing and communications expertise to help a growing organisation drive positive change around the world? GlobalGiving UK is looking for an Associate Communications & Marketing Director - UK & EMEA to join our team. This is a new role and provides a great opportunity to develop brand awareness amongst companies, major donors, other potential funders and sector stakeholders, in a largely untapped market, whilst working at a global level. You will play a key part in helping the charity grow income in our targeted geographical areas by creating and rolling out a regional marcomms strategy, discover new opportunities to grow our brand, bring data and market analysis insights to discussions, and develop and amplify key messages that will resonate with our audiences.
GlobalGiving UK is seeking candidates with experience in a senior role who can turn their strategic aims into action. You will have extensive experience of leading a successful external Marketing and Communications function, exceptional communication and strategic-thinking skills, as well as the ability to manage, coach, and motivate staff in a changing environment.
We have a casual work atmosphere where everyone’s input and ideas are valued. We’re committed to work-life balance and offer everyone opportunities to learn, experiment, and grow. Since creative, enthusiastic employees are our most valued resource and the basis for our success, we take great care in how we attract, hire, and support our employees for a successful career. If you care about collaboration, curiosity, communication excellence, and continuous improvement, this position is right for you.
The Associate Communications & Marketing Director will work closely with the global Communications and Marketing Team, remaining aligned to a unified strategy, whilst increasing brand recognition and impact with our UK and EMEA target audiences.
You will work closely with people across the organisation to develop goals, strategies, tactics, and key messages that position GlobalGiving as a thought leader among its peers and constituents. This will require you to understand our core differentiators, be able to talk about our innovative products and solutions, and to develop compelling reports, talking points, narratives, and special events that elevate the GlobalGiving brand among target audiences.
To do this well, you will need to understand who our targets are and how to motivate them. Using audience insights and media monitoring and business intelligence software, you will learn what works, and launch content distribution and audience engagement tactics that drive results. Needless to say, this role requires a high level of creativity, attention to detail, and project management skills.
You will also work closely with our Disaster Recovery and Growth teams, as well as our Co-CEO, to develop and iteratively improve our public relations communications strategy and raise GlobalGiving’s visibility in the UK & EMEA.
- Regional Marketing and Communications Strategy: Develop and oversee the implementation of the marketing and communications strategy for the UK organisation. Research, develop and execute digital marketing, communications, and media relation campaigns with the support of a marketing assistant and the global Marcomms team. Oversee the design of test/control segmentation, implementation of tests, tracking, reporting, analysis, and recommendations for improvements. This position will guide, influence, and collaborate with other internal stakeholders to direct marketing efforts for companies, stakeholders (B2B) and major donors (B2C).
- Growing Brand Recognition: Conduct ongoing regional brand positioning and market analysis. Lead brand assessment research and recommend and implement improvements to increase brand awareness.
- Brand Ambassadors and Influencers: Work with our global Public Relations Specialist to help Identify and cultivate a network of influencers, affiliates, and brand advocates that help GlobalGiving UK to develop more sustainable, meaningful, and lasting relationships.
- Leadership: Recruit and manage a marketing and communications assistant (exact job title tbd) and provide strategic leadership when working with internal stakeholders.
- Market Analysis: Conduct regional market research to keep abreast of trends, consumer preferences, and competitors’ marketing movements. Identify product improvements, gaps, and opportunities for growth.
- Data Analytics: Leverage data analytics, market intelligence and industry practices to evaluate marketing and communications effectiveness, recommend changes, create buy in, and implement.
- Disaster Response: Develop and lead the marketing and communications response to natural disasters and humanitarian crises and emergencies relevant to our UK and European donor audiences.
- Public Relations: Represent the organisation to external stakeholders, potential clients, and strategic partners. Take a leading role in public relations crisis management.
- Media Relations: Build and maintain relationships with journalists, write press materials including press releases, media talking points, and op-eds. Pitch stories, and respond to media inquiries. Act as GlobalGiving UK’s spokesperson, or support the team as they speak on behalf of GlobalGiving.
- Writing and Editing: Write and edit regional relevant content.
- Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat.: Help us design, run, track, analyse, and report on marketing experiments to find out what works for our users (and help us identify our failures).
- Knowledge Sharing: Share best practices with our staff and stakeholders. As a part of this, keep up-to-date with best practices in the industry and integrate learning into our strategy and tactics.
- Events: Lead on the management of fundraising events in collaboration with our Growth team and manage a calendar of relevant external events, indicating where we might be best placed to partner, sponsor, exhibit or provide a GlobalGiving speaker.
- Digital tools: A knowledge of Hubspot, Meltwater, and Adobe Creative Suite would be helpful but not essential.
For our team to be a great fit for you, the following qualifications should resonate with you:
- 10+ years of experience in marketing and communications, which might also include public relations, journalism or brand-awareness building.
- Extensive experience of leading a successful external Marketing and Communications function, with 3+ years at a senior level.
- 3-5 years experience with public relations strategy and execution and brand-awareness building through earned media, events management, and storytelling.
- A commitment to our core values, creativity, and the desire to change the world.
- Demonstrated excellence in acting as an organisational spokesperson, crafting media outreach that works, and developing lasting relationships with media and influencers.
- Demonstrated experience with media monitoring and business intelligence software
- Knowledge of current marketing techniques and best practices.
- Passion for advancing GlobalGiving’s voice and brand across a variety of media.
- Self-starter who can launch, prioritize and execute activities with minimal supervision.
- Skilled collaborator who can work well with others and build good relationships with leaders, staff and stakeholders
- Fluent in English (proficiency in another European language would be useful) with excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional self-motivation and self-direction.
- A passionate belief in the mission of GlobalGiving and a commitment to our core values.
Salary Starting Range: £56,000 to £62,000.
- Benefits include flexible work hours, remote work options, 25 days of paid holiday (growing after 2 years of service to a maximum of 30 days) per year, employer pension contributions, professional development opportunities, and a meaningful job where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped more than 700 kids get their essential health and educational needs met." (One of many true stories.) And of course, we've also got you covered with benefits like an online health and wellbeing assistance programme, enhanced maternity leave, and paid sabbaticals.
The initial term of contract is for 18 months to establish, test and prove the strategy with a potential of becoming permanent. The position holder will be reporting to the Co-CEO of GlobalGiving UK. All staff work remotely from home, with access to a network of co-working spaces throughout the UK and beyond. Staff are required to attend a monthly team meeting in London and the Director of Marketing and Communications may be required to attend events across the UK or Europe.
Applicants must have the full legal right to work in the UK without restriction prior to application.
Deadline for application 9am BST on Wednesday, 17th August. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis and early application is recommended.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.