Uhakika Kituo cha Ushauri Nasaha (UKUN) is a non-governmental, non-political & non-profit
organization based in Bagamoyo district in the coastal region of Tanzania.
The mission of UKUN is to contribute to the primary prevention of HIV/AIDS pandemic in
Bagamoyo town; to support palliative care services for people living with HIV/AIDS and to improve the
quality of life for the district's Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC). Also UKUN provides therapy & nutritional support to its patients!
In Bagamoyo District, as in most of Sub-Saharan Africa, AIDS has spawned a vicious social cycle that, unless aggressively addressed, will severely undermine communities for generations to come. As the pandemic kills and disables adult parents, it creates another generation of orphaned & vulnerable children who are either cared for by elder caregivers (grandmothers) or sick mothers. Both elder caregivers & PLHA typically have little to no means of income generation or living the means of life.
The objectives of UKUN are to increase capacity to deliver community care and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS as well as to promote awareness on HIV/AIDS through information, education and communication. With these activities UKUN aims at reducing stigma associated with HIV/AIDS.
Local staff is supported to help groups through skill development for income generating activities and help set up support networks. UKUN currently operates in all 22 wards with 97 villages in Bagamoyo.
1. To increase technical & organizational capacity to deliver community care & support services to people living with HIV/AIDS, orphans & vulnerable children.
2. To promote awareness on HIV/AIDS, TB & Malaria through information, education & communication.
3. To reduce stigma associated with HIV/AIDS.
4. To promote the use of prophylaxis and ITNs in high risk malaria population areas & vulnerable groups.
5. To help improve local skills of development of healthcare staff & volunteers
Total Funding Received to Date: $2,145
Remaining Goal to be Funded: $15,855
Total Funding Goal: $18,000
This project has provided additional documentation in a PDF file (projdoc.pdf).
http://www.eastafricaaid.com http://amap.eastafricaaidproject.org http://hvu.eastafricaaidproject.org http://ukun.eastafricaaidproject.org