Ninety five to one hundred percent of the women trained in the Afghan Institute of Learning’s Tailoring courses use their skill to help support their families. Here’s a story of one successful student: “I got admitted in the tailoring course. I finished the course, and according to the manager’s advice, I started the advanced course of tailoring. By completing this course, I became a professional tailor. I have a lot of customers and I work up to midnight to sew my customer’s dresses on time. I also have a contract with the market and sew their products according to their order. Before I came to the AIL center, I was a disappointed person and I used to think I could not do anything for my family. What I am now is because of the AIL center in our area.”
Other AIL Accomplishments in 2009 included:
• AIL trained over 1,800 Afghan teachers in pedagogy subjects, leadership, human rights, and school health. These teachers went to their classes and directly impacted over 500,000 students teaching these important subjects.
• Nearly 23,000 students (primarily women and children) attended classes at AIL educational learning centers.
• Over 362,000 Afghans received medical treatment and health education from AIL’s 6 health clinics and community health worker program.
• In January 2010, AIL expanded humanitarian aid efforts with the harsh winter and reached out to 22 families in need. AIL staff delivered to each family quantities of rice, cooking oil and tea. Most heads of the family were widows with children from Herat, and were recommended by community members.
• In February 2010, flooding in the Enjil district of Herat destroyed many family homes, and AIL responded with a concerted effort of initial food aid.
Reminder: On March 16, 2010, GlobalGiving will be matching all donations made to any project on www.globalgiving.org by 30% (up to $1,000 per person)! If you could like to donate again to our project, your donation will go further on March 16th!!!
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.