I am writing to thank you for your support of the school lunch program at Losinoni Primary School. As you'll see in the letter below, this program is making enormous differences in the lives of students in this village!
Over the last 7 years, AfricAid has partnered with the rural, Maasai community of Losinoni, Tanzania. Despite the enormous challenges faced everyday by the students, teachers and parents in this community, Losinoni Primary School has remained committed to providing the highest-quality education possible for its students.
In a recent letter to AfricAid, Losinoni Primary School head of school, Ezekiel Ngungat, thanked AfricAid for its support of Losinoni over the years – including classroom construction, a school lunch program, a solar power project, latrine construction and an inspiring children’s book project (check it out at www.firstpersonpublishing.com).
Losinoni reported the following results from AfricAid’s support (check out number 5,6 and 8, in particular!):
ACHIEVEMENTS FROM AFRICAID SUPPORT
The financial support from AfricAid has really made a difference to the lives of children in this primary school as mentioned below:
1. Congestion of pupils classrooms has been reduced by at least 50 % - from 100 to between 50 and 60
2. Created more conducive learning environment for the pupils after renovation and purchase of desks.
3. The pupils are not shy to visit the toilets because they are enough, clean and have privacy.
4. The pupils are motivated to learn as they have enough textbooks and other learning materials.
5. Increased attendance in school. Most of the pupils including truants are attracted by school lunch. The food is now more nutritious after starting to provide cooked maize mixed with beans. (It is known as ‘makande’.)
6. The pupils are very active and participate fully in classroom sessions because they are well fed.
7. The teachers are now motivated to work because they can print tests for the pupils more conveniently using the computer and printer.
8. The above-mentioned achievements have resulted to successful standard seven examination results. The number of pupils selected for Secondary school increased from 13 in 2004 to 64 in 2009. Only one pupil was not selected in a class of 65 pupils.
We are so proud to partner with Losinoni Primary School, and we thank you – our dedicated AfricAid supporters – for making these life-changing opportunities possible for the students there!
With much appreciation,
Founder and Executive Director
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.