PROJECT TITLE:REHABILITATION OF THANE CYCLONE VICTIMS IN SOUTH INDIA(9753)
REPORT TITLE : MARCHING TOWARDS SAFETY
REPORT PERIOD: 01.02.2012 TO 17.02.2012
In Cuddalore district which was affected with the cyclone Thane in parangipettai block we chose the chinnoor pudupepettai panchayat ( which was mostly affected) and performed the Participatory Rural Appraisal (PRA) there. During the Tsunami at chinnoor puduppettai Panchayat many died and a vast material damage was occurred . During the cyclone NISHA also a lot of economic loss was occurred in this panchayat. We was occurred in this panchayat. We talked with Mrs. Mariammal , president , Chinoor puduppettai panchayat, The present disaster Thane occurred in this panchayat, With he co-operation and involvement of the people of that Panchayat , we the 5 staff team along with the manager of Chevaliar Roche Society we performed the PRA 1 to 11th Feb.2012. It was decided to form a PRA (Participatory Rural Appraisal) with the fullest participation local community. For this we have selected 3 major tools.1. Social mapping , 2 Resource mapping, 3.Vulnerability and alternative route mapping. This tool is much helpful to know the details of this present panchayat. Govt. and all private sections and also all the resources which are mentioned here
I. SOCIAL MAPPING
Roads go from main road to this village, village streets, Transportation facilities, School buildings , college Buildings, Govt. Godowns. police station, pure & Relief station, Govt. Hospitals, private Hospitals, Boat yards, Community Hall, wedding Hall, Ambulance Centre, Blood Bank, Food storage centre, Petrol Bank, Water Tank, wells, Temples, Churches, Huts, Tiled houses, concrete houses, Agricultural lands, Rivers, Ponds sea routes and all govt. sectors were located by the people of this panchayat and people themselves drew diagrams of these and were explained by us to everybody.
II RESOURCES MAPPING
Because of the present Thane ill effects, have affected more the local community. If we identify the various resources over there we can easily found the possibility to save the community.
Infra structures to save the people during the time of disasters such as hospitals Fire & Relief station , police station, School and college Buildings, Panchayat office , V.A.O office, post office, vetnary Hospitals, Mid- Day Meal centre, E.B. office, community Hall, Marriage Hall, cyclone safety centre, Resources of private Ambulances, Communication Centre, Blood Bank, govt. and private infra structures including banks were locate and the facilities capacity and strength of the building were searched. Route for these places were also located and drawn by the community. We explained these in detail to everybody of the panchayat .
III VULNERABILITY & ALTERNATIVE ROUTE MAPING
The vulnerable community of these categories were advised to know the alternative routes other than the main Road. The team of our staff explained the weaker people about the risk areas of the village and were guided how to escape during the vulnerable situation from the vulnerable area.
River flows near the residential areas of this panchayat, houses situated near coastal areas, common huts. Risky ponds in the conduction of being broken at any time, old buildings, Transformers, Petrol Bunks. Domestic areas of physically handicapped, children, aged people, lepers were also located.
IV SEASONAL DIAGRAM
This particular panchayat is frequently affected by any disasters like present Thane. Therefore it was advised to the local community what would be the symptoms of any disaster
In what months rain ( monsoon) would fall heavily ?
In what months wind would blow heavily ?
In what months sea wave roaring would be heavy?
For the above points people drew a diagram for a period of 12 months and explained. Also they explained the occurrences of cyclones in the earlier times. Our staff team explained clearly this to all people.
READINESS TRAINING , EARLY WARNING, SEEKING & REDEMPTION & FIRST AID TRAINING :
1) When the disaster of cyclone occurs no body should stand near the tree, Electric posts or old buildings .
2) No body should touch the cut wires fallen on the ground . During this occasion we should not step with out feet in to the water .
3) As soon as the early warning is received everybody should go to the safe places directed by us already.
4) During the earth quake the people should go to the safety places such as below the cot or table.
5) It was advised lealy in this training to the community what precaustionary measures should be taken?
6) During the Tsunami hit like the time of disasters we shall not run . We must reach the top of the high and strong building.
7) During the time of heavy flooding the light empty tins, empty plastic canes, plantain stems, shells of tender coconuts may be used as the safety tools for our escape from the disaster.
8) During the fire accident at a house, immediately we must call on fire & Relief service office. We should not wait until the arrival of the fire service staff. We shall apply a large amount of water to quench the fire. The near by houses should be moisturized with a large amount of water.
9) If a person is affected severe fire burn, that person shall be covered with woolen blanket
10) During the occasion any disaster if people are affected severely with deep injuries , they may be carried with the usage of Dhotis sarees and blankets like a stretcher . So that the injured persons body would not bend.
11) Blood ripping of the injured person can be controlled by covering the injury with our palam , fingers or & folded clean clothes during the occasion of deep wounds.
12) During the unconsciousness of a person he or she should not be given water or beverage drinks to water or soda water may be sprinkled upon the face of the affected drink. That person should be checked. Being made a call for the ambulance if he has the proper respiration.
FIRST AID TRAINING :
We also trained about the first aid in details.
I) The way of checking the pulse was taught
II) Safety pre caution to protect the joining are of neck & lower jaws were also trained
III) The way of artificial respiration was also trained to them
IV) It also trained about checking the heart beat to community
V) Also it was taught If the person is found alive, his or her mouth shall be opened and the position of the tongue should be checked. If the tongue is found pulled in it should be pulled out a little.
VI) After the artificial respiration, how to increase the heart beat also trained them
VII) It was trained with our palm and fist how to apply the gentle presume to the chest of the victims. Also we trained them to get the necessary information to call on the Ambulance. It was emphasize also to fix the necessary phone numbers ( Including ambulance) in the midst of Panchayat office.
TRAINING ON DISASTER MANAGEMENT TEAMS :
On 13.02.12 to 16.02.12 with the leadership of Manager, Chevaliar Roche Society 5 members team joined with the Global Giving we had a 3 days campaign Chinnoor Puduppettai Panchayat, Parangipettai Block, Cuddalore district. After the Tsunami hit in 2004 9 types of teams have been already formed by the Chinnoor Puduppettai panchayat.
In the above said 9 teams members were added without the self involvement. Because of the migration most of the team members have moved to the out stations. So these teams were not active. To strengthen these teams we have rearranged the four teams. Those are
For every team we selected 12 members for the above said first two teams necessary trainings were offered.
TRAINING FOR EARLY WARNING, SEARCH & RESCUE TEAMS:
Training was offered to Early Warning, Search & Rescue teams on 17.02.12 at Ayyanar temple campus at Chinnoor puduppettai at two sessions Mr. R. Sathish Kumar, Block Development Officer, Parangipettai presided over this training in the presence of Mrs. Mariammal, President, Chinnoor Puduppettai. A staff team of Chevaliar Roche Society offered the training to the community.
IMPLEMENTATION GIVEN TO THESE TEAMS DURING THE TRAINING:
- Offering the training to move the people from low lying area to the safety places.
- Offering the training to the rescue team to approach the vulnerable put them in safe places.
- Offering the training for Early warning team about the different methods of communication.
- Offering the training to the team about taking the weak people to the hospitals for treatment.
- Offering the training to the team about Thane disaster to communicate urgently the nearby Govt. offices ( early warning system )
- It was also emphasized about the necessity Humanity & speedy action
- It was explained to them in detail about the search & Rescue
TRAINING FOR FIRST AID TEAM
On 08.02.12 to 11.02.12 at Chinnoor puduppettai panchayat village. Mr.Rathna Kumar, village administrative officer presided over this programme in the presence MRs.S. Mariammal, panchayat president. With the practical explanation training was offered by a team of 5 members with the leadership of Mr.Thamodharan from Chevaliar Roche Society.
ISSUE OF VITAMIN TABLETS TO THE SCHOOL STUDENTS AFFECTED BY THANE AT PARANGIPETTAI TOWN PANCHAYAT:
On 13.02.012 at Govt. Hr.Sec.School, Parangipettai panchayat Mr. Narasimman welcomed the participants of the meeting. Mr. Mohammed Yoonuz Chairman, Town panchayat presided over the function in the presence of Mr. Natarajan, Mr. Mohammed Yoounz delivered the Vitamin tablets and wormicide tablets to the students. These tablets were donated by the organization, “Vitamin Angels” (USA). This agency did not provide any financial assistance for the personnel cost (service provider cost). Our staff team of Global Giving Thane project distributed the tablets to the affected school students in the parangipettai town panchayat..
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
that needs your help.