Group RUKUX IXIM.
• During the month of January, a 12-month plan was elaborated for raising 2,500 egg-laying hens.
• Since May, the project activities were initiated by first constructing an adequate chicken coop.
• On June 15, the group Rukux Ixim bought 2,500 chicks that had 12 hours of birth and placed them in the newly constructed chicken coop.
• From this date on, Isaquel Hernandez became the maintenance personnel to take care of the chicks during 4 months until they became egg-laying hens.
• During their second week of age, the chicks were vaccinated for disease prevention.
• During the four months, the group would meet every end of month (and weekends when it was urgent) to evaluate the activities and the growth status of the chicks.
• At the beginning of October, the promotion of egg-laying hens sales were initiated to get people and local community groups interested in buying the hens.
• On October 16, egg-laying hens were sold at a price of $5.70 each. Isaquel calculated the price based on the production costs.
• The hens obtained a high demand. At the end, there were not enough hens to satisfy the market’s demand.
• According to the project management, a positive profit was obtained this year, which will encourage the group to invest again in 2007.
International Development Exchange (IDEX) is a San Francisco-based social change organization whose mission is to promote economic empowerment and social change in Africa, Asia and Latin America. In Guatemala, one of IDEX’s local partners is the Association for the Promotion of Health and Socio-Economic Development (APROSADSE), an organization founded in 1975 to train and support Maya Cak’chiquel health promoters and midwives. Today, the focus of APROSADSE is to address the socioeconomic needs of rural farming communities through microcredit, organic agriculture and livestock collectives, and adult education. See how they are doing.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Thanks to 73 donors like you, a total of $8,179 was raised for this project on GlobalGiving.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
that needs your help.
San Martin Jilotepeque,
IDEX Latin America Program Director