We wish to thank you for your invaluable support this past year. Following is a quarterly field report direct from the team on the work that Have Pity and Compassion has been doing to fight gender-based violence and women's rights to property within the family...
* * * * * * *
(1) In the last three months, we have served 80 more couples from four sectors Kigarama, Gishweru, Mutara, and Nyabibugu.
(2) As we have finished our training, we are in process of following up and finding out the impact of our training concerning conflicts related to refusing women to have access to family property:
(3) We selected couples that experience domestic violence referring to recommendations from local leaders.
(4) In general, the law about having access to family property among couples, gifts, and succession is now well understood in our community. Now, people are approaching us whenever there is a misunderstanding or conflict in relation to this law in order to ask for our advice.
That afternoon, youth gave testimonials about conflicts that they have noticed in their community. Then, they shared ideas on how they can proceed, in order to positively contribute to resolve conflicts in their communities. Some were thinking that it is inappropriate to advise their elders; but they all ended up by deciding that no matter how young they are, they should not stay inactive when there is a social issue in their neighborhood. Our trainees especially youth are working hard in advocacy for people whose rights are being violated in our community.
(5) In the next 3 months we are planning to do the following activities:
(6) Challenges and how to overcome them:
(7) Wishes and thanksgivings
May peace from God stay with you!
We at Global Grassroots extend our deepest gratitude for your support in enabling our graduates' venture, Have Pity and Compassion, to do this important work in educating families, couples and the local community on women's rights to ownership and decision-making over family property, including land, homes and household resources. This work enables women to care for themselves and protect themselves and their children from vulnerability and violence.
We invite you to continue to support our work for Have Pity and Compassion and other teams of women change agents throughout Rwanda. Thank you and warm wishes to your friends and families.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Support another project run by Global Grassroots that needs your help, such as:
President and Founder