PROJECT TITLE: PROMOTION OF ORGANIC FARMING IN THOOTHUKUDI
REPORT TITLE : AWARENESS MEET FOR VERMI COMPOST AND USEFULNESS TRAINING PROGAMME
REPORT PERIOD: 01.06.12 to 30.06.12
DATE : 22-06-2012
PLACE : Nallur Panchayat, Tiruchendur Block Thoothukudi District
PRESIDENCE : Mr.S.Vellapandi, President Nallur . Farmers Club
PRESENCE : Mr.S.Murugan , Secretary Nallur Farmers Club
On 22-06-2012 Awareness meet for vermicompost and usefulness training programme was held at Nallur Panchayat , Tiruchendur Block, Thoothukudi District by the organizations Global Giving and Chevaliar roche Society .In the presence of Mr.S . Vellapandi , President , Nallur Farmers club Presided over this training programme . Project Manager and his Team of Chevaliar Roche Society offered the Awareness Training . Following information was taught to the farmers gathered there :
1) A detailed explanation about the evils of using the artificial fertilizers .
2) It was also explained about the defects to the soil fertility being caused by the artificial fertilizers.
3) It was described how the microbiotics are destroyed by the artificial fertilizers and strong insecticides .
4) It was also said in an elaborate manner how the food crops become intoxicated by the usage of artificial fertilizers.
5) The way of underground water becoming as poisonous by the usage of artificial fertilizers and insecticides was explained in a detailed manner.
6) How the surrounding environment is polluted by the usage of artificial fertilizers? – A detailed explanation was given .
7) It was emphasized that the usage of vermicost is the only remedy for all those defects and damages .
8) An elaborate explanation of soil fertility , water fertility ,health of the humanity in the programme .
We took the farmers finally to the agricultural lands to view those and the crops grown by application of vermicost . Finally then Mr . Parisamuthu Senior member of the Nallur farmers club conveyed the vote of thanks
VERMICOMPOST TRAINING PROGRAMMES
DATE : 23-06-2012
PLACE : Varandiyavel Panchayat,Alwar Thirunayeri Block ,
PRESIDENCE : Mr.Arumugu Thevar, Farmers Association
PRESENCE : Mr.Vel Murugan , Panchayat Varandiyavel Panchayat .
On behalf of the organizations Global Giving and Chevaliar Roche Society on 23 – 06 -2012 at Varandiyavel Panchayat , Alwar ThirunayariBlock,Thoothukudi District , Vermicompst Awareness Training Programme was conveyed for the common people and farmers in the village . Mr . Arumuga Thevar , President , Farmers Association Presided over tha Training Programme in the presence of Mr.Velmurugan , Panchayat clerk , Varandiyavel Panchayat . Project Manager and his Team , Chevaliar Roche Society offered the Training to the community . Following information was taught :
1) Manufacture of vermicompost by the things being easily received at the house was taught .
2) The way of manufacturing vermicompost by using the vegetable wastes and excretion of bulls , sheep and goats .
3) Manufacturing ways of vermicompost by Tab method and symbolic method was explained and taught to the community .
4) Manufacture of vermicompost by using waste leaves and stems were described in detail .
5) Through the solid waste management manufacturingthe natural Fertilizer was explained and taught .
6) Manufacturing methods of panchakaviya , Amirtha mattic and Amirtha jalli (Bio fertilizers) were taught to the participants of the training programme .
7) It was also explained how the Neem seeds could be used as Natural fertilizer and as an insecticide .
The farmers were taken finally to the plantain gardens , coconut gardens where the Organic fertilizers were used .We all along with the farmers viewed the above mentioned plants .
ORGANIC AGRICULTURAL LAND DEVOLPMENT PROGRAMME
On 25-06-2012 at North Nallur village , Thiruchendur Block , Thoothukudi District the organizations Global Giving and Chevaliar Roche Society unitedly arranged the Organic Agricultural Land Development Programme As a Part of this programme field bund information was done at agricultural lands .By doing this work following benefits are got:
1) Rain water storage.
2) Increase in ground water level.
3) Protection of water taste.
4) Protection of soil fertility.
5) Soil erosion is avoided.
6) Protection of minerals in the soil.
7) Protection of microbioticsin the soil
REPORT TITLE : TRAINING CAMP FOR MANUFACTURING NATURAL VERMICOST
REPORT PERIOD: 16.04.12 to 31.05.12
TRAINING CAMP FOR MANUFACTURING NATURAL VERMICOST
Date : 18.04.12
Venue : Bharathi nagar
District : Thoothukudi
With the financial assistance (through online donation) of organization GlobalGiving – Chevaliar Roche Society offered a training programme to farmers at Bharathi Nagar. Mrs. Kala, Panchayat Level Federation Joint Secretary presided over this training camp. Special trainer team of Chevalier Roche Society offered the training to the farmers. As the SPIC fertilizer factory is in Thoothukudi and also the farmers use the chemical fertilizers regarding the manufacture and benefits of natural vermicost fertilizer to the farmers as follows:
Date : 9.05.12
Venue : Gandhi Nagar
Organization GlobalGiving and Chevaliar Roche Society jointly offered the training on Drip irrigation at Gandhi Nagar, Thoothukudi district. Mrs. Rose Panchayat Level Federation Secretary presided over this training programme. With the presidence of Global giving aided project manager and team gave the training.Hence a clear training about the importance drip Irrigation.
On 24.04.12 at Vivekandanagar
On 04.05.12 at Sottaiyan Thoppu
On 18.05.12 at Puthiyamuniasamypuram
On 30.05.12 at Poopandiapuram
Training on women farmers:
The purpose of the project is promote the women farmers. Hence all of our training prgrammes, training is focused on women. This continuous training programme are conducted to avoid the usage of chemical fertilizers and to encourage the usage of organic / natural fertilizers. Rather than inform men farmer our objectives reach easily the targeted women farmers. The methodologies in many acturing various varieties of organic fertilizers have be trained to the targeted women. The foremost aim of the Global Giving project is to eradicate fully the chemical fertilizers. Particularly we trained the in compost technologies to women farmers. Apart from this we have trained them about the community seed banks and drip irrigation. Traditional seed collection and collection technologies decreased by youth day by day. Therefore it has been decided to forms a traditional seed bank in every panchayat.
REPORT TITLE : SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT
REPORT PERIOD: 16.03.12 to 15.04.12
3 different types of technologies were taught by us.
- villages are rearing bulls / cows but the don’t uhlarze dungs properly.
- Once the major component of the vermin composty paddy has but they don’t uhlase even the hay.
- By the major ingredients s are available in the local village. we motivated them to unlarze those.
REPORT TITLE : TOWARDS ORGANIC VILLAGE
REPORT PERIOD: 16.01.12. TO 15.02.12
PUTHIYAMPUDUR VILLAGE (TAMILNADU , INDIA) DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
EXPOSURE VISIT AT AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE AND RESEARCH CENTRE, (TAMILNADU AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, TNAU) KILLIKULAM
India is an agricultural country. For a long time agriculture is going on here. According to the climate planting and harvest were done. In the seasonal month it is natural here to sow the seeds. According to the season of wind, winter and rainy seasons here farmers were using natural fertilizers not the chemical fertilizers. That is why food production increased. As a contrary to this, at present people are using continually artificial fertilizers in agriculture. Usage of Natural fertilizers decreased. Therefore the nutrition of the soil is decreasing. When the nutrition of the soil decreased day by day, usage of chemical fertilizers increased. Therefore nature of the soil changed and production of agriculture was affected much. During the harvest the farmers get small yield only. Therefore the agricultural work is in destroying condition. Hence the farmers are afraid to work in the agricultural field. They are afraid because they feel they might meet loss. Being removed the fears of the farmers we plan to encourage the farmers in some selected villages. In order to fulfill this purpose in village Puthiyamputhur, Thoothukudi Block we have started the survey in order to improve the agriculture in our villages.
On 18th January'12 we started from the Puthiyampudur Village along with the Team of 23 farmers by a Deluxe – Seated Van at 8.30 A.M and exactly at 10.00 A.M. We reached the Agricultural College and Research Centre, Killikulam. Dr.Sangeetha (Professor & Head, Dept. of Social Sciences, Killikulam College) received us guided as to Dr. Manivannan, Asst. Professor, Dept. of Horticulture, Dr. Manivannan gaves us a nice presentation an Brinjal seedling dwarf palm plantation, senna and seedling with the usage of Green Farm. Also he showed us green house and senna plantation. Dr. Manivannan gave the opportunity to the farmers to ask the questions Farmers questions asked him many questions regarding Fruits and Vegetables and he answered all questions patiently. It was much useful to the farmers especially he explained in detail about the much fruits yielding varieties of Mango. On completion of his presentation we had the lunch.
After lunch Dr. Senthilvel, Asst. Professor, Horticulture gave an excellent lecture on paddy cropping planting technologies and good yielding varieties. Also he took us to the crops planted area again explained us to the crops planted area again explained us in detail practically farmers of the Puthiyampudur village felt very glad about this. This exposure visit was accomplished at 5.00 P.M
As the part of the Puthiyampudur Organic Farming programme, drip water irrigation, and corrected paddy plantation, an exposure visit was arranged for the farmers of Puthiyampudur village. Through a seated van we proceeded to Agri clinic. There Mr.Kaliappan field officer, Agri. Clinic welcomed us kindheartedly. He Guided us to the field and explained about drip water irrigation in detail to the farmer from Puthiyampudur village.
METHODOLOGIES OF DRIP WATER IRRIGATION TRAINING:
- In a right place, at right time in right measure, at low pressure prevision of water and fertilizer to the crops.
- Because of the climate changes the measurement of rain fall decreases day by day. So the water level in the ground also is decreasing in a large quantity.
- Global Giving aided staff team takes various efforts to preserve the under ground water and to up grade the systematic agriculture and to develop the agricultural production.
- Wastage of water is avoided by the application of drip water irrigation. And the crops also get enough water for their growth.
- Soil erosion is avoided as the drip water irrigation method is kept up.
- Because of the drip water irrigation un necessary expense of workers wages and electricity is avoided.
- Agricultural production can be developed to 3 folds.
- The formers who used the drip irrigation for vegetable plants now apply the same to sugar came and fruit plants.
- Now the Govt. offers 100% grant for drip water irrigation.
- Because of these the need of mineral to this plants decrease.
- As the enough gap is provided in this process, all crops get enough sunlight
- Being used the weed cutter in a sample way weeds can be removed easily
- As the root and stem portions grow fast, the spikes also grow faster and a good harvest is obtained
- Being used this process paddy agriculture is done in a large agricultural production can be developed to an enormous level
- All crops equally get the nutrition. This exposure visit was very good and much useful to the farmers.
As a part of Puthiyampudur organic farming training programme ON 20.01.12for the manufacture pf vermin compost fertilizer at social welfare centre, Mr.Vellapandi farmers association leader Mr.A.Damotharan project Manager, Global Giving aided Chevaliar Roche Society welcomed everybody and offered welcome speech. Mr.M.S. Mahadevan, Agricultural Officer, Agricultural Research Centre Tiruchendur Block, Mr. Esackimuthu, Asst. project officer, Agriculture Inspection centre, Sonakanvillai participated the programme and delivered the lectures on manufacture of vermin compost fertilizer and their benefits in detail. Finally the Senior Farmer Arumuga Devar delivered the vote of thanks. In this meet plenty of farmers participated and benefited..
METHODOLOGIES OF VERMI COMPOST TRAINING :
- Natural fertilizer is suitable for agriculture and health of the humanity
- By the usage of Natural fertilizers, not only the fertility of the soil is preserved but also the agriculture production can be multiplied.
- By the enormous usage of chemical fertilizers fertility of the soil, water resources are heavily affected. Also turns the taste of the soil, water resources are heavily affected. Also turns the taste of the agricultural food products and spoil the health of the people. To a great extent environment is also affected. Therefore the Global giving aided Project team the officials of agricultural dept. and those who are interested in the improvement of Environment emphasize the farmers to use the organic fertilizers.
- Of the organic fertilizers vermin compost can be prepared in an easy manner at homes and home gardens.
- At first a pit having the length of a feet, width of 3 feet and a depth of 1 meter should be dug out sand should be put.
- Upon the sand layer hay cut into small pieces, vegetable waste leaves and stems, wastes from restaurant shall be poured out. Upon this mixture of wastes, a mixture of cow dung, urine and sugar solution shall be sprinkled. Above that black soil shall be spread and solution containing cow dung shall be sprinkled. Like wise these should be made as 4 layers and up to the height of 2 meters and to be kept as an unit.
- Upon this unit green house should be formed to avoid the direct flow of sunlight.
- Water should be sprinkled everyday continually both in morning and evening for 60 days.
- After the completion of 60 days this unit should be kept fried for 7 days.
- After this the vermin compost fertilizer unit can be dug out, filtered, pocketed properly and sold to the farmers, They can utilize these in their agricultural fields.
- If this unit is kept permanently in the crop fields, in a large manner vermin compost can be be manufactured and it would improve the fertility of the soil. It is commonly called as “ Amirtha matti or Amirtha Jalli” he talk like equipments can be prepared and in which the vermin compost can be manufactured.
REPORT TITLE : CONTINUOUS TRAINING ON ORGANIC FARMING
REPORT PERIOD: 16.02.12. TO 15.03.12
SELECTION OF BENEFICIARIES THROUGH SURVEY:
In Puthiyamputhur village we divided the Agriculture into three groups.
We give priority to the small farmers who are living below the poverty line. We give priority to the small farmers as they are larger in number in our villages. We took survey of the farmers including their seedlings, irrigation. And also we took own wells. We came to know through this survey only a small number of farmers have their own wells. Others are expecting the rainfall for the growth of their crops. Even through some farmers have their own wells, they are worried about the soil condition as the soil in their area had lost its nutrition. In the time of their parents their land has yielded good result in Paddy and Plantain plantation. Now they feel they do not have good yield from these plants. But they don’t know the reason for this. Those who have no wells are afraid as even the farmers who have their own wells also afraid. Because the farmers who have no own wells have to expect their agricultural products by the enough rain fall only. Another reason nutrition of the soil in their area also has decreased. We made the survey house to house. During our survey we came to know that the farmers have no enough knowledge about the organic farming.
TRAINING FOR THE PREPARATION OF VERMICOMPOST
For this training we planned to select 30 small farmers from the village. According to that we selected 30 farmers. In order to develop their agricultural work we provided them necessary training and demonstration for the preparation of Vermicompost.
DEMONSTRATION AND PRODUCTION OF ORGANIC MANUAL
In the places where there would not be much not or heavy rain a fertilizer pit should be dug out we can use the gunny bags also for the manufacture of Vermicompost. If we use a fertilizer I should have the measurement of 2 meters length x 2 meters depth x 2 meters width. In the pit for the height of the foot sand or garden soil should be filled and 100 nos of earthworm should be poured into the pit open that we must add the cow dung, sugarcane chaf, coconut fiber wastes etc. daily water should be sprinkled upon this and we must check the humidity is not below 35%
It would be good to make a thatched shed above this bit. It would save the earthworms from sun heat and damage by rain fall. The earthworms in the bit would eat the decayed natural wastes and would excrete the wastes. It would be on the top level of the bit. In this manner Vermi compost would be ready in 45 days.
CONTINUOUS TRAINING FOR ORGANIC VILLAGES:
The purpose of our project is to convert our targeted village. Puthiyampudur to holistic organic village. As in this village there is no agricultural activities, the farmer community has modified themselves as garment makers. There are two important reasons for this. 1. Drought and 2. Chemical Fertilizer. Our first and fore most aim is to convert this village “ Puthiyampudur” as an organic village. This will not happen by convene a single meeting. Therefore we need to arrange a series of meetings.
S.no Date Place Panchayat
1 16.02.12 Round Street Puthiyamputhur
2 21.02.12 Rice Mill Street Puthiyamputhur
3 24.02.12 RC church street Puthiyamputhur
4 28.02.12 Kali temple street Puthiyamputhur
5 09.03.12 East street Puthiyamputhur
By the application of chemical fertilizers all agricultural lands have been spoiled. Therefore we need to make known the farmers what are the chemical factors in the soil there. But the farmers are sluggish to go for the soil test. The purpose of the series camps to motivate them to be prepared for the soil test. If they are ready for soil test they wont turn towards chemical fertilizer. Another major activity, we need to encourage them vermin composting. The reason for this continuous camps were convened for the farmers to perform the above activities (Soil test & Vermi composting). The result of these above seminars has arisen some hopes. We realized that the GlobalGiving project is going towards right & successful direction.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
that needs your help.