The Meet Kate Foundation supports local initiatives that focus on youth in Ghana. We are now building a primary school, with sport and playground facilities in Ekwamkrom Ghana, providing quality education for 200 children in this small community. This school will focus on small class rooms and provide the children with computer classes. We have put several things in place to make this project sustainable and self-reliant, like a 6 acre cacao plantation and a poultry farm.
What is the issue, problem, or challenge?
70% of the population is unemployed in Ekwamkrom. The average salary here is around 25 dollars per month. Many families in this village have at least 4 to 6 children. Education, which is free, is not an option for many children. Parents are often unable to cover additional costs such as uniforms and textbooks. So many children in the village do not attend school or go very occasionally if more money happens to be available one month. This results in many children still being illiterate.
How will this project solve this problem?
Meet Kate will build a private primary school, with the same quality as expensive schools in the neighborhood; small classrooms, good teachers and a lot of sports and computer lessons. The school fees will be free for 20% of the children, the most needy ones. The other 80% will pay a small token, this will pay for the scholarship of the other 20%. The cost of our school can be compared to free government schools, only with better education.
Potential Long Term Impact
The long term effect will be that children in this village can read, write, participate in group activities and be social human beings. Ekwamkrom is only 50 miles away from the capital of Accra, and children therefore really have a chance to continue their education or find a job. Moreover, Meet Kate will provide adults in Ekwamkrom with jobs in our school and this school will help our other project (a children's home) to become sustainable. Our own 20 children will also enroll in this school.
Total Funding Received to Date: $23,767
Remaining Goal to be Funded: $1,233
Total Funding Goal: $25,000