Turkana is the most under-developed district in Kenya with 62% of the population living below the poverty line. The Infant and Child Mortality Rate is 150% higher than the already dismal national average. By addressing the urgent health issues of the Turkana people, and tailoring health care to their needs, their traditional way of life can be preserved. This project aims to provide outreach intervention that offer vital health care to women and children from isolated, pastoral communities.
Turkana is home to pastoralists - communities that follow their livestock (goats, cows etc) around. They move seasonally, looking for fresh pasture and water. Due to this nomadic lifestyle, they are faced with many challenges including: lack of access to safe water; inadequate knowledge of reproductive health issues and early pregnancy. The need for health care is huge, but access to free, effective health care services is scarce. In Turkana, there is only 1 Doctor for every 100,000 people.
To address these grave issues, Merlin is:
- providing outreach interventions that include immunizations for children, and antenatal and post natal care for women
- training health workers and traditional birth attendants in a variety of topics including management of common childhood illnesses, essential obstetric care and neonatal care
- enhancing supervisory capacity of the District Health Management Teams through training, and financial support
- continuing to operate mobile clinics
This initiative will directly impact the health of over 200,000 people by:
- enabling NGOs to increase access to quality maternal, child and neonatal health care services.
- increasing access to primary, obstetric and neonatal health care services for the communities of Turkana
- increasing awareness among communities on issues affecting their health
- Increasing capacity of the District Management Team to plan, monitor and coordinate the delivery of health care services.
"Merlin is committed to working with the local community to meet the challenges and is incredibly grateful of our supporters for their help in preventing the needless deaths of mothers and babies." - Louise Patterson, Merlin Country Director - Kenya
Total Funding Received to Date: $445
This project is now in implementation and no longer available for funding.
Received funds will be used to accomplish concrete objectives as
indicated in the project's "Activities" section. Updates will be posted under the
"Project Report" tab as they become available.
Donors' contributions and pledges to this project totaled $445
The original project funding goal was $1,000.
This project has provided additional documentation in a PDF file (projdoc.pdf).
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Support another project run by Merlin USA that needs your help, such as: