Food, Shelter and School for Orphans in India

 
$53,006
$31,994
Raised
Remaining
Jul 3, 2010

HEARTS Orphanage Site Visit

Bill Brower is a Field Program Officer with GlobalGiving who is visiting our partners’ projects throughout South and Southeast Asia. On June 8th & 9th he visited the Little Hearts Orphanage in Nellore, India. His “Postcard” from the visit:

The facilities at HEARTS’ orphanage seemed basic but adequate for the 42 children currently living there. As the kids grow they will need more space and they’re hoping to add a floor to address this. The children, all from the “untouchable” class, looked healthy and appeared happy. I saw the home at about half capacity as many of the children go to stay with other family members in the summer for 5-10 days (Little Hearts provides transportation money and pocket money to do so).

According to the founder CP Kumar, about 80% of the children are “full” orphans having lost both parents, and 60-70% of the children have lost parents due to AIDS. The orphanage usually doesn’t take in children who are HIV-positive because according to CP Kumar they are “too big of a risk”. They have 2 boys and 1 girl who are infected.

While the project description claims Little Hearts is working to fight the stigma against HIV/AIDS, it sounds like this is not actively being done. They have taken women to get tested, but it appeared that the organization does little beyond this and support the children.

This is a highly founder-driven organization and CP Kumar was open with their financial records. Other organizations in the area steal 90% of the money they receive according to CP Kumar and so he was eager to show me they were part of the other 10%. He even showed me bank account details on his mobile phone. Everything appeared to be in order (though I’m far from a certified accountant).

The true test of the success of an orphanage in my opinion is how well the children transition out of that environment as they get to be adults. HEARTS is too young of an organization to tell, but there is little doubt that these children are in a better situation than they would be otherwise.

Comments:
  • Stephen
    Stephen This report addresses an issue that needs attention. How do we handle children who are infected with AIDS? Are there sufficient accommodations for them? Are they getting adequate medical care? Should there be a separate orphanage for them?
    • 4 years ago
    •  · 
  • To comment you need to login. Don't have an account? Create One.

About Project Reports

Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.

If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.

An anonymous donor will match all new monthly recurring donations, but only if 75% of donors upgrade to a recurring donation today.
Terms and conditions apply.
Make a monthly recurring donation on your credit card. You can cancel at any time.
Make a donation in honor or memory of:
What kind of card would you like to send?
How much would you like to donate?
gift Make this donation a gift, in honor of, or in memory of someone?

Organization

The River Fund

Sebastian, Florida, United States
http://www.riverfund.org

Project Leader

C.Prasanna Kumar (Mr.)

Nellore, Andhra Pradesh India

Where is this project located?

Map of Food, Shelter and School for Orphans in India