1. Tanzania has a large population of 40 million, many of which are desperately poor (GDP per capita less than $600). Between 35 and 50% of the population is living in object poverty.
2. There is a significant demand for microfinance services, with less than 10% of the population having access to savings, current accounts or operating in the formal financial sector.
3. Poverty reduction can make a significant difference in this religiously diverse country that could otherwise fall prey to terrorism.
4. Opportunity’s plan is to be a national presence in Tanzania, from the capital city up to the rural Kilimanjaro mountains.
5. Join a motivated and dynamic group of young adults in their effort to improve the fate of an entire country. Young Ambassadors champion Tanzania with each communication and event.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Support another project run by Opportunity International that needs your help, such as:
Director of Online Strategy