Without doubt, the Nali Development Project in Ghana continues to be a very successful project with Cheerful Hearts Foundation.
An absolutely HUGE thanks to your generosity.
Please read - we have a new VIDEO to show how the project has progressed and exactly what your money has gone towards….
Here quite simply is what your donations have achieved:
- new clean toilet facilities for the children of Nali School. The wooden pit that was before, is now 3 separate chambers for girls, boys and teachers. Clean toilet seats and a waste disposal system. Before, children had to squat over a pile of waste that was reaching the top of the seat. Now thanks to you, the hygiene of the children is in safer hands.
- Fresh drinking water. Cheerful Hearts has installed a water pipe system in Nali directly to the municipal water supply. No longer do children have to rely on a stagnant well and expensive plastic sachets – clean fresh water flows straight to the school.
- New classrooms – gone are the decaying walls, cramped tables and chairs – in, are newly painted learning rooms, brand new furniture and plenty of inspired pupils! We managed to paint the ENTIRE school thanks to your donations.
- New kitchen – we replaced the charcoal cooker that was polluting the kindergarten classroom and draining school funds, to the now cleaner and cheaper gas cooker. Now there is new kitchen staff uniforms, and new crockery and cutlery, that will last a generation for cleaner and better food.
- New textbooks – no longer has the financial burden of textbooks forced children to stay at home. Cheerful Hearts Foundation has provided resources to allow the poorest of families to remain committed to education.
- New sandboards – signs to advertise the school and increase awareness of the development project occurring in the local area. It has inspired a generation of Ghanaians to focus on development aims in their own community.
When Lucian revisited in October-November 2013, we had many challenges met with success.
What was most important to our project aims was that it was a LOCAL project - working with a local community of carpenters, welders, government water officials, waste disposal experts, painters, parents, teachers, students. All with the additional help of Cheerful Hearts international volunteers and interns. The project focus was grassroots and locally-based development.
Cheerful Hearts will always remain an Ghanaian NGO run by Ghanaian leaders, committed to using international aid to implement projects sustainably so a legacy will be left. The involvement of local people was crucial in the project, to diversify the economy, and engage local partners in the project goals, so it was not solely reliant on foreign aid.
And it doesn’t stop there. In 2014 we are already underway with progress in:
- Assistance with recruitment of 2 new teachers from the community to ease the burden on the stretched timetable on the other teachers.
- 2 new volunteers at the school to help share knowledge, training and also assist the student’s motivation in school.
- New chess boards and reading club for Friday afternoons so students can finally have activities for Friday afternoon games.
- Teacher and student motivation classes from the Ghanaian Director of Cheerful Hearts Foundation to sustain teacher involvement and progress commitment to the long lasting legacy of the school.
- Campaign to recruit more children to the school and fixing the school bus, so students that live in rural areas can finally have access to education.
From everyone at Nali International High School, we want to say a heart warming THANK YOU for all those who dipped their hands in their pockets for a contribution, however small or however generous, every cent went to making this project a reality and really changing the lives of those less fortunate.
Watch this NEW video for evidence of where your money has gone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGIicQ3AHNo
Keep watching as we have a special SURPRISE for all our donors within a few weeks!!
What Next? Cheerful Hearts continues to press for Nali School and other sustainable projects to realistically improve the lives of the poorest in Ghana. We have an important Child Labour projects also currently running – please see our global giving page at http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/rescue-100-children-from-child-labour-in-ghana/
Follow Cheerful Hearts Foundation on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/CheerfulHeartsFoundationGhana
If you want to make a further donation, please feel free to do so on the Cheerful Hearts global giving Child Labour page at: http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/rescue-100-children-from-child-labour-in-ghana/
Thank you always and forever. We are continually touched by the kindness and selflessness of our donors who have helped make this happen. You have kept us motivated every step of the way.
If you want to get involved with volunteering, or the project directly, please feel free to contact Lucian, Melissa or Eric at Cheerful Hearts Foundation:
Lucian Reed-Drake (also on facebook)
Melissa Mellor (also on facebook)
Eric Opoku Agyemang (also on facebook)
With love and kindness,
Lucian, Melissa, Eric and the Cheerful Hearts Foundation,
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
that needs your help.