Levantando Chile Update (November 2011 – January 2012)
In October, NESsT launched a 2nd Social Enterprise Competition in the O’Higgins, Maule and Bio-Bio regions, which are some of the areas most affected by the 2010 earthquake. The competition is open to organizations with a strong social mission that work to solve important social problems in the these regions, that have a strong connection with local producers, and that want to develop a social enterprise to support them and increase their income streams.
All ten organizations were invited to begin a one-year evaluation process where NESsT is helping them analyze their business ideas through a pre-feasibility and feasibility study. At the end of the process, organizations will produce a business plan, which NESsT will evaluate followed by selecting the three best business plans. The winning organizations will receive US$10,000 to implement their business ideas and will enter the NESsT portfolio to continue receiving capacity support to implement their business plans, for the next 1-4 years. The ten organizations currently participating in the competition are:
1. Cooperative Campesinas Las Nieves Ltda. Social Enterprise: Production and commercialization of quinoa 2. Fundacion para el Desarrollo Campesino Social Enterprise: Commercialization of honey 3. Fundacion para el Desarrollo del Bio Bio Social Enterprise: Production and commercialization of honey 4. Organización No Gubernamental de Desarrollo Centro de Educacion Tecnologica para el Desarrollo del Sur (ONG CET SUR) Social Enterprise: Consulting and training services 5. Asociacion Gremial por el Bosque Nativo de Nuble Social Enterprise: Commercialization of certified firewood 6. Fundacion Ludovico Rutten Social Enterprise: Career-skills training workshop 7. ONG SurMaule Social Enterprise: To construct a just and inclusive democratic society through training, research and community interventions 8. APIUNISEXTA A.G. Social Enterprise: Development of sustainable beekeeping. 9. Agrupacion Cultural y Artesanos de Canete Social Enterprise: Commercialization of crafts 10. SEPADE Social Enterprise: Production and commercialization of wooden crafts and products
- March: NESsT provides feedback on organizational readiness of each participant and invites select organizations to develop pre-feasibility studies
- April: NESsT evaluates pre-feasibility studies and invites select organizations to develop feasibility studies
- July/August: Feasibility studies are evaluated by NESsT and our Business Advisory Network members
- September: NESsT invites select organizations to develop their business plan
- November: NESsT selects three best business plans
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
that needs your help.