Report to Global Giving
Intervention Period –December 2012 – December 2014
Project – Whole School Turnaround
School: Goodwill English School, Heganahalli, Peenya II Stage
Reporting Period: Sep 2013 – Nov 2013
No. of teachers/heads covered under the Programme - 1 head, 1 Coordinator and 18 teachers
Objective of the Intervention
Review of action points of 8 months
Discussion and planning of action points for Sep – Dec 2013
The school has successfully completed below mentioned action points with the help of TTF. These positive changes need to be monitored by the schools heads to make these changes sustainable.
1. Maintaining cleanliness and hygiene in the school
2. Positive disciplining using appreciation chart and ground rules in place or corporal punishment
3. Formulation of school vision and sharing the same with all stakeholders
4. Parent Orientation
5. Time Table – School and Teacher Time Table
6. Student Council
7. Maintaining school records8. Use of Blackboard and display board effectively
9. Use of positive verbal and non verbal communication
10. List of library books
11. Staff Room
12. Installation of water purifier
13. Students participation in school assembly
14. Awarding classrooms as best classroom based on various indicators
15. Class observation by the school head
The school will work on the following action points during September 2013 – December 2013
1. Regular and democratic staff meeting with proper agenda and
documentation of minute of meetings.
2. Teachers should be empowered by allowing them to share
their suggestions and views and incorporating the same in the
classrooms as well as school policies.
3. The class teachers will plan and motivate the students to speak in the
assembly in English on any topic for at least 3 – 4 minutes which will help
them to develop confidence to speak in English on topics.
4. All the classes must have a class monitor/leader, a cleanliness- in-charge
and a language leader.
5. Teachers will practice their learning from Prerana workshops in the
4. Designing Learning 1
The teachers will be able to use different type of graphic organizers in the classes to help the students to understand the organization or structure of concepts as well as relationships between the concepts. The learner does not have to process as much semantic information to understand information.
The teachers will start using varied methods of assessment instead of conventional methods to assess the learning of the students at various stages.
The teachers will start writing objectives of the lesson in the format – Audience, Behavior and Condition
Teachers have started using KWL and “Clearest and Muddiest Point” in the classes.
Teachers found their learning on “Formative Assessment” quite useful and felt that understanding of “Bloom's Taxonomy” will help them plan the blue prints to set their question papers in a better way.
Teachers tried to write the learning outcomes in ABC format for the classes which were observed by TTF facilitators in Oct.
The teachers were clear that they are not supposed to use words” understand, comprehend, know, learn, appreciate” etc. while writing the objectives as these cannot be measured.
School Based Support
Classroom Observation and one on one feedback to the teachers by TTF Facilitator
2nd round of Demo classes by TTF facilitator
To provide support to the teachers by observing their classes and by providing constructive feedback on teaching strategies used by them in the classes
To help the teachers to observe and understand as how to use of different tools for teaching for example – KWL sheet, graphic organizers and different forms of formative assessments in the demo classes
Classes of 15 teachers were observed during 2nd week of September 2013 by TTF facilitators.
The aspects observed were based on 6 Prerana modules and these were – positive demeanor of the teacher, positive verbal and non verbal communication, effective praise, effective use of BB and display boards and questioning skills and group/pair work and how to help the students to think.
Teachers’ effort was evident in the classes. However a few teachers were quite nervous during observation as their classes were observed for the 1st time during their teaching career.
Organized BB work, legible handwriting, word wall, positive demeanor etc came up as strong points for most of the teachers.
The feedback was provided to the teachers to help them to reflect on their strength and areas of improvement.
This exercise will help the teachers to make teaching learning more effective in their classes.
The teachers could see the strategies like KWL, clearest and muddiest point, questioning skills, use of maps in social studies etc in the demo classes. Demo classes also demonstrated as how various assessment methods can be used during class to gauge students' understanding.
1. Midline audit will be conducted to assess impact of intervention after one year.
2. Teachers will start writing lesson plans for units with clear objectives.
3. Mentors will be identified among the teachers to monitor classes of the peers and share constructive feedback with them.
4. Mentors will be trained for successful institutionalization of coaching and mentoring process in the school.
Photos to show improved teaching learning in the school:
Students engaged in group work Organized blackboard
Students engaged in activity
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.