GG Update for Ellsworth band
Ellsworth area students participated in a number of projects in the last year to reach their goal of earning funds for the project.
• At the Spring concert, community members donated to the cause;
• Band members held 3 car washes through the summer;
• 2 elementary students set up and ran a lemonade stand;
• A high school student detailed cars and gave all earning to the fund;
• 2 girls held baked goods sales;
• The 5th grade band members organized a ‘wear a hat to school’ day for a fee of 50 cents per student;
• Many students solicited donations from friends and family
Students particularly liked an in-school presentation by Toc Dunlap, executive director of Creating Hope International. Toc came to class wearing the traditional Afghanistan burka that women wear and talked about daily life and the culture in Afghanistan. Several students, who had family members serving in the military in Afghanistan, enjoyed learning about what family life is like over there. Student volunteers were able to try on the burka and experience it firsthand.
Overall, Ellsworth students were able to identify better on a personal basis with life in Afghanistan while earning money for a worthy community cause.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Support another project run by Afghan Institute of Learning that needs your help, such as: