Dear friends, partners and collaborators,
CERBC, formerly Aru School for the Deaf (ESMA, is a Christian non-governmental organization that was founded in August 2004 in response to the high incidence of disability and low standard of living among people with disabilities in the northeast region of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This situation is the result of the lack of services available to people with disabilities.
CERBC is a nonprofit organization specializing in support for persons with disabilities.
The organization purpose is to:
- Tackle exclusion and poverty through education and rehabilitative care to restore the dignity of people with disabilities through an integrated approach.
- Support and provide life skills to people with disabilities.
Ensure a holistic integration of people with disabilities into the community.
To serve as a training and rehabilitation centre, to improve the quality of life of people with disabilities and enable them to integrate fully into society.
CERBC is dedicated in working in the field of disability with different activities in three major departments namely:
- Department of Special Needs Education: that includes the education of visual and hearing impairment and physical disability in special and integrated schools,
- Department of Community Based Rehabilitation: includes prevention and rehabilitation through orthopedic and Audiology services, Research Department.
- Support Special and Inclusive Education for children and youth with visual, hearing and physical disabilities at all levels: primary, secondary, and vocational and university education in preparation for a full integration into social and economic life.
- Training of Special Needs Education Teachers, Community Based Rehabilitation Workers in order to equip them with skills for assisting people with disabilities in their own environment.
- To make available learning materials and mobility equipments. Such materials will include literature on sign language, Braille production and provision of wheelchairs and tricycles.
- Carry out extensive rehabilitation measures at an early stage for early detection and to provide treatment of curable conditions likely to cause permanent disabilities.
- Promote research in areas of visual, hearing and physical impairments in DR Congo.
- Education (ESMA)
- Education for children with hearing impairment
- Education for children with visual impairment,
- Training of Special Teachers,
- Production of educational materials for special needs children,
- Support the development and implementation of appropriate programmes of Special Education and Inclusive Programme,
Health promotion, prevention, medical care and rehabilitation.
- Audiology care
- Orthopedic care,
- Physiotherapy and appliance
- Disability and HIV/AIDS awareness
- Training of Local Community – Based
- Rehabilitation Workers
- Capacity building for people with disabilities and their organizations as well as the empowerment of parents with disabled children
Partners and Collaborators
- DIFAEM: German Institute for Medical Mission
- Mission Evangélique Braille (MEB, Switzerland)
- Fonds 1 % (One percent Fund for Development Switzerland),
- Foundation Expanding Horizons (NL)
- Kentalis (NL)
- Solar Ear Brazil
- Global Foundation For Children With Hearing Loss
- Symbiosis Türkiye
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
This project is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
that needs your help.