America's kids are in crisis. Boys & Girls Clubs of America has embarked on a bold journey:
to launch a new era of positive social impact for our nation's young people most in need.
The GREAT FUTURES VISION is to assure success is within the reach of every child who enters our doors, with all members on track to graduate from high school with a plan for the future, demonstrating good character and citizenship, and living a healthy lifestyle.
In the United States today:
- 1 out of 5 children live in poverty
- 3 out of 10 will not graduate from high school. 5 out of 10 minority youth will not graduate.
- 3 out of 10 young people are obese. And this rate is climbing.
- 1 out 4 girls will experience sexual abuse by the time she is 18. For boys, its 1 out of 6.
- Out of 34 developed nations, the US ranks 14th in reading, 17th in science and 25th in math.
The Great Futures Campaign will drive a targeted plan to address academic success, character and health -- three critical areas that will have profound impact on the future success of our young people, and our nation.
This campaign has 4 major goals:
1. Eliminate the dropout crisis
2. Build character, future leaders and engaged citizens
3. Attack the youth obesity epidemic
4. Expand outreach to those most in need
We have set bold, national goals. By 2018 we will impact 4.4M youth...
1. By partnering with other youth development leaders, we will cut the dropout rate in half.
2. Through caring relationships with supportive adult mentors we will ensure our youth have a moral compass that will dramatically influence their attitudes and behavior.
3. We will ensure Club members will exceed national fitness benchmarks by 10%.
4. Deepen club impact in communities where needs are greatest.
Total Funding Received to Date: $110
Remaining Goal to be Funded: $99,890
Total Funding Goal: $100,000
This project has provided additional documentation in a PDF file (projdoc.pdf).