RSSO firmly believes that education is the one and only catalyst to improve the status of children, to give them a chance to improve their livelihood in the future and offer them an opportunity for upward social mobility. So the aim of the project was “materializing RTE for slum children in the age group of 6 to 14 years in Bhubaneswar through remedial coaching, empowering and mobilizing the community and sensitizing the school teachers”.
The slum children are provided with remedial coaching to ensure retention and to fill up the quality gap of school education and increase academic proficiency. Attempts are to be made to advocate with government school authorities to allow the remedial teachers to work inside the school rooms, so that they can impart special education to late starters, non starter, slow learners, academically weak children and children with specially needs inside the school which is to be helpful to prevent dropouts. In addition this year the organization is trying to form children’s groups in the slums and empower them to generate demand for quality education as part of its plan for sustainability.
At present total number of 3246 children are studying in the 162 centers.
RSSO believes that the most basic education instills a sense of confidence, purpose, and insight that is necessary for successful and productive participation in any society. Without at least functional literacy, children and adults lack the ability to adequately support themselves in a legitimate profession or trade and thus often fall prey to all forms of exploitation, corruption, and abuse. Education it firmly believes is the one and only catalyst to improve the status of children, to give them a chance to improve their livelihood in the future and advance them an opportunity to upward social mobility. Therefore, RSSO seeks to ensure that a quality school education is imparted to all children within our target group of street and slum children.
1. Activities and Achievements
a) Activities with the Community
· Basti Education Committees have been working effectively. They monitor the working of remedial centres running in their respective slums.
· Monthly meetings of BECs are conducted religiously and resolutions are made unanimously.
b) Activities with Children
· With intensive work of the teachers and cluster educators 2802 children are retained in the government schools, more percentage of which are girls. On the other hand less percentage of girls have been dropped out during the academic year 2012-13.
· Remedial coaching has been conducted with full force. The teachers are provided with training on the new methodologies, strategies of education, multi-grade teaching skills, remedial coaching skills, record maintenance and adolescence psychology.
· Children are regularly counseled to attend the government schools. The teachers take initiative to visit the home of the child if any child is absent from the school. It has been noticed that the children’s attendance has be increased remarkably.
· Re-integration of drop out children in to the school has been conducted.
· To enhance the scientific outlook among the children and to identify their creativity in the field of science, a Science Exhibition was organized at our office premises at Samantarapur. 100 science models were exhibited by 200 children. More than 4000 children visited the exhibition. In addition to science models, science quiz, science magic and cultural programs were organized by the children. Mrs. Usha Padhi, IAS, Commissioner Cum Secretary, Deptt. of School and Mass Education inaugurated the exhibition. A number of dignitaries like Sri Narayan Chandra Jena, IAS, Director, Elementary Education, Smt. S. Gomathi, Program Manager, Concern Worldwide, Sri Bhabani Charan Pattanayak, Freedom fighter and Ex. MP (Rajya Sabha), Dr. Bhagyadhar Bhoi, Sr. Scientist, Regional Research Laboratory, Bhubaneswar, Dr. Chittaranjan Mishra, Eminent Scientist were present in the program, and graced the occasion as Guests of Honour. They also encouraged the children and appreciated the program.
· Evaluation and Assessment – Competency based tests have been completed. About 80 % children have completed all competencies as planned. Indus Learning Solutions Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi has conducted the End line assessment during March 2013.
c) Activities with Schools
The teachers maintain good rapport with the school teachers. Whenever they are allowed, they demonstrate in the school with innovative methods. The school teachers are helped to conduct co-curricular activities. The test results of the students are shared with the government school teachers.
School Management Committees have been constituted in all the nearby schools. Our teachers are meeting the members of SMCs and educating them about the RTE, explaining them various provisions laid down in the RTE and how these provisions can be realized for the children.
Our four teacher working as Education ambassador, they are covered 15 to 18 govt. school and report to BRCC following schools are follow the RTE norms or not.
d) Other activities done during this year.-
Outputs and Outcomes
This time Ruchika's students have also achieved excellent result. The students of Remedial Education program were assessed by a third Party viz. Indus Learning Solutions Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi in Feb 2013 (End line Assessment). We are happy to share with you this another success story. Thank you verymuch for continuing your support to bring smile in the faces of these children.Details of the success enclosed here with.
Govt. school teachers are gradually accepting our teachers and appreciating the methodology that Ruchika adopts to teach the children.
We sincerely express our heartfelt gratitude to our supporters for their magnanimous gesture towards the children living in oppressed and deprived of their minimum basic right to go to school.
Just like a lotus born from the mud, a valued citizen to the society can be from slum, hence we need only to cherish them into blossom. Let us join hands to flourish these little flowers through our petite supportive steps towards them.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.