KENYAN TEENAGE MOTHERS MID YEAR REPORT
We have come to the half year and the teenage mothers from Mukuru slums and Dagoretti are all smiles as they make their dreams become a reality.
For the last six months two project areas for teenage mothers have successstories to share on their achievements.
The teenage mothers of Dagoretti area graduated in May, on entrepreneurship& micro finance training .The course ran for four months. Congratulationsto all the teenage mothers who worked hard to achieve this skill of independence.All the young mothers who trained in this skill had small businesses existing. Nowthe teenage mothers will grow their small businesses better through applyingthe skills learned. The best 10 businesses proposals were awarded with $100 eachas Seed capital to expand their businesses. Thanks to Project Baobaborganization for partnering with us on this project.
Hairdressing & beauty training is one popular course among the teenagemothers. The teenage mothers graduated in April after six months coursetraining with life skills that will help them in future and give them a livelihoodfor them and their children. Winfred, who scored the best marks was awardedwith a hairdryer is a proud graduate who aspires to expand her business and usethe skills she has learned. She said, ‘there are many things that I know nowthat will help me expand my salon business and I can now get more customers’.
Vocational training class has now diversified their trainingto crafts and recently held two exhibitions .One was organized by ElevateInternational and the other Ministry of the youth. Hope for Teenage Mothers (HTM) had variouscurio items, beaded belts, sculptures, baskets and beaded works to display. Theteenage mothers managed the stand for the 3 days exhibition in June/July andthey explained to the visitors to their stand about the projects HTM and howthey are transforming their lives.
Other Project Updates
1. Evelyn Ntheya has joined us in the project to assist in the HIV/AIDS counseling ofthe infected and the affected teenage mothers .Welcome Evelyn!
2. The Christian brothers have donated a day care room for the children of the teenagemothers who are studying Vocational training .We need to equip the room withproper facilities for the babies as young as 6months to 2 years .We welcomeyour donations in kind and money.
3. Teenage mothers are having 2day training on how to make recyclable sanitary towels on 3 and 4th August by Project Mwezi being the trainer. This trainingwill go along way for our girls and the community within Mukuru and the country as a whole .Thanks toSusannah the Project Director of Project Mwezi.
4. Our girls (35) are getting ready for the vocational class government examinations due inAugust and December, 2011.
5. Hope for Teenage Mothers are preparing for a 5 day crafts exhibition in November 23rdto 27th, 2011 at Sarit centre in Nairobi. We shall be exhibiting the crafts the girls are making.We shall soon be posting these on our website and are all Welcome to order on line.Welcome to the exhibition and see our young mothers’ talents.
6. There is an urgent need for food within the country. The teenage mothers and their childrenhave not been spared the hunger .This has resulted due to high inflation rate,lack of maize and drought in the country. If you wish to donate food for ourgirls we have a drop off point at our office in the city. Just call us or email usfor more details. (Dry grains are recommended).
7. The last 2 months we had 4 University students volunteers from Australia and Tanzania. University Students doing research are welcome to volunteer with us .Just inform us your needs 2 months before hand and we shall organize this for you.
Thank you for your support as always.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.