Thanks to your generosity, almost a million dollars from about 13,000 individual donors is making its way to Haiti for earthquake relief efforts. Thank you! GlobalGiving’s 17 partner organizations on the ground are helping provide emergency medical care, shelter, and food in the immediate post-earthquake efforts and providing longer-term support in areas including rebuilding and training. Impact on the ground is already being seen, including:
- Deep Springs International distributed enough clean water tablets to purify over 100,000 liters of water at a school in Leogane, 1 million liters of water in two field hospitals, and an additional half million liters will be distributed throughout the countryside by mobile medical teams. (www.globalgiving.org/4582)
- Internews is now airing daily humanitarian information radio programs on 21 local and national stations in Haiti. Reported by local journalists, information includes where to find water, tips on avoiding water-borne illnesses, location of medical clinics and special camps for children and orphans, plans for recovery and jobs, and more. (www.globalgiving.org/4572)
- CDRS assisted in setting up a multi-agency field hospital at Bojeux Parc, right at the city limits of Port Au Prince, which is now seeing up to 200 patients a day. (www.globalgiving.org/4592)
Four new projects focusing on Haiti earthquake relief efforts have been added recently to the GlobalGiving site. They are:
1) Architecture for Humanity - to develop a long-term rebuilding plan for sustainable housing, schools, and community centers. (www.globalgiving.org/4605
2) Freeplay Radio – to provide robust, solar-powered radios to earthquake survivors so that they can access critical information (www.globalgiving.org/4608)
3) GHESKIO Center – to replenish supplies of a local Haitian hospital so that it can continue humanitarian and emergency care (www.globalgiving.org/4611)
4) Water Missions International – to provide solar-powered water purification systems that can be used by communities in both the long- and short-term relief efforts (www.globalgiving.org/4598)
You can read more firsthand accounts and project updates from our partners in Haiti at http://www.globalgiving.org/haiti-earthquake-updates/
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.