Holiday season is a time of joyful celebration, yet also a time of reflection. As these days’ approaches, it’s time to reflect with gratitude on the blessings and bounty that you’ve received. While making your holiday plans and reflecting on all you have to be thankful for, it’s also a good time to think about those who are less fortunate, and consider whether you can be of assistance to those who are in need. At Mathare Children’s Fund panairobi, we know that education can make a difference to people living in extreme poverty. Since 14 years we are committed to provide assistance for trainings and school education to the once in need; former street children, teenage Mothers and the vulnerable community in the Mathare Slum. More children than ever before seeking assistance for sponsorship, medical care, one meal per day, textbooks among other services, but our resources are limited. We need support.
This year, thanks to you;
· 10 children have just graduated from high school and hopefully will join colleges next year
· 3 children graduated from primary school and next year will be joining high school
· 6 kids graduated from universities in different under graduate degrees including, Actuarial Science, Teaching, Mathematics and Physics, Software Engineering, Business Administration and Human Resource
· 4 students joined the university to undertake; Geo-mapping, Diplomacy and conflict resolution, Hotel management and Pharmacy
· 14 teen mothers with their under 5 year old babies are currently undertaking either a course in tailoring or hair dressing and receiving training on life skills every second week
· We are working on reusable sanitary towels for girls within the 70 schools we work with
· We started a clean-up campaign in Mathare slums every school holiday that has attracted the attention of the City Council who has come in to support
· We have livelihood projects Handbags and Nairobi Walking Tours that is bringing income for the single mother’s and students who finish high school respectively
We are truly proud and we hope you are too….
Needless to say, we want to keep going and help more kids. There are 106 kids with us right now, and more joining in January. We hope to raise more funds to continue with our work and there exists several options that we hope you can take part in;
· GlobalGiving is offering nine bonus awards (including a $3,000 and $2,000 prize!) to the projects that raise the most money from their supporters. The project must raise $3,000 from at least 30 donors in the month of December to become eligible for $10,000 in bonus awards! The campaign begins at 12:01 am EST on December 1st and lasts through 11:59 pm EST on December 31st.
· If you’re looking for a last-minute gift, please think of donating in honour of someone you care about. They will receive a tribute card telling them about the donation that was made in their name. To find out how, click here.
We just finished a new (short) film about the handbag project. Please take a few minutes to check it out on https://vimeo.com/79944107 and Diana’s poem, a beneficiary of the sponsorship program on http://vimeo.com/69675244
All funds received will go directly to support the sponsorship of 106 children in Mathare. What better way to celebrate this holiday season than to make a conscious decision to help your neighbors who are in need…
On behalf of the staff and children of the Mathari Children's Fund, we wish you all the best for the holidays.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.