YOUNG GIRLS EMPOWERMENT FORUM ON EARLY MARRIAGES, PREGNANCIES AND SEXUAL EDUCATION
· To enable participants acquire knowledge on the consequences of early marriages, early sexual activities and resultant early pregnancies
Song and dance prevailed TYSA sporting center as the organisation raised a red flag on early pregnancies, early marriages and school drop out
In a research outcome from the Empowering Rural Girls through Sports project being implemented by TYSA - on problems affecting rural girls, early pregnancies, marriages and school dropout which toped the list were found to be emerging at an alarming rate within four villages
It emerged from the forum that girls are missing vital information on Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health, lack of protection from community and its institutions, violation of children Rights with impunity, and lack of safety nets for vulnerable girls. We don’t report cases of abuse, rape or pregnancies to the local chiefs because they are compromised a student
What needs to be done?
When asked how they thought these problems could be dealt with, they gave the following responses among many others:-
· In the case of harsh parents, the girls requested that time be found and a session organized to talk to their parents about their plight.
· As for poverty, it could be tackled by approaching organizations like TYSA and others who can either organise for bursaries or link them up with those who could help them get scholarships for education.
· We encouraged them that education is good and cited examples of people in the community who have made it in life and are successful after working hard in school.
· Being married off against their wishes and harassment by male teachers was quite a sad story. One girl stood up and said “When we report to the Chiefs, they are bribed into silencing us, our teachers are also bribed, the police are bribed, we have nowhere to report our cases.”
With scuh forums on the community, girls have unique opportunities to develop resilience.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Thanks to 439 donors like you, a total of $30,138 was raised for this project on GlobalGiving.
Combined with other sources of funding, this project raised enough money to fund the outlined activities and is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Support another project run by Trans-nzoia Youth Sports Association (TYSA) that needs your help, such as:
Trans nzoia County,