Dear friends, the Hope Academy projects in both prisons have continued to go from strength to strength.
In Leeuwkop (Johannesburg) we have recently overseen the following:-
1. Academy level training through our License C curriculum that deals with passing as a foundation.
2. Life skills training focusing on forgiveness (we saw this was a great need in the academy).
3. Hosted mission touring team during Confederation Cup.
4. Made contacts into surrounding leagues to register the academy in a local football association in 2010.
In Drakenstein prison (Cape Town) we have recently overseen the following:
1. Our Academy in the local Helderberg League. Currently the team is top of the league and unbeaten for the season.
2. 2 of our players have been released. 1 player has been registered in a local team (we took him to trials) and we are trying to secure employment (Jam Jam). The other player is to be employed as an electrician (Enver).
3. We hosted a family day for all the prisoners in the academy. This was an extremley successful day. The family members testified about their hurt and fear for their children in prison and how the program has brought hope.
4. We are starting a community project where the academy boys will coach children in a local school.
We are excited about the progress made in the academies this year. Correctional Services in South Africa have seen the impact of the program and now want to go into a Memorandum of Agreement with Ambassadors In Sport to develop elite soccer academies in prisons around the country. This is the first initiative of this world wide to our knowledge.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
This project is no longer accepting donations.
Still want to help?
Find another project in
that needs your help.
AIS SA Director