Following activities have taken place in the past 2 months:
• Coordination with Mr. Rainer Mutschler for the promotion of Solar Tuki in El-Salvador
o One set of Solar Tuki sent (as sample) via post
o Couriered the hardcopies and emailed the softcopies of Solar Tuki Technical Manual and Brochures
• Coordination with local NGO “UNISON” for establishing Warehouse in Kavre District
• Arranging meetings for the promotion of Solar tuki in the Trekking Region – Langtang National Park
• Coordination with cooperatives of Sindhuli District
• Coordination with cooperative and school of Dailekh District
• Coordination for the establishment of community charging centre in schools of Lalitpur Sub Metropolitan City
• Coordination with Lalitpur Sub Metropolitan City for providing training to local women groups of Lalitpur Sub Metropolitan City to promote local entrepreneurs.
• Published "Light for All" Campaign in Catalytic Community Website
• Meeting and coordination with Ms. Corey for the publication of Solar Tuki endeavor in her Book “Social Entrepreneurs and Innovators”.
In the past six months, progress has been done in different aspects.
The outreach to the rural community has increased. More no. of rural community groups / cooperatives (from east, central and west Nepal) has been linked. In the past six months, 500 no. of solar tuki lamps were sold and new linkage developed with 5 cooperatives.
To further promote the solar tuki as an enterprise and to support the local level entrepreneurs, the concept of central warehouse has been developed. The idea is to import quality components from abroad (India, China) and to provide it to the local level entrepreneurs to fabricate the solar tuki. The warehouse will help in maintaining the quality of the solar tuki lamps and the end user will be benefited. At present, in the local Nepalese market, good quality components are not found and there is always the fear of local businessmen cheating the rural uneducated people.
With this purpose, separate contacts were developed with the Li-ion battery manufacturer and solar panel manufacturer in China. There samples were obtained, tested and the orders finalized. Accordingly, 2,000 pcs. of Li-ion battery has been delivered and the solar panel is being delivered next month. Quality brands of other components (from India) have also been identified.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Based upon the feedback from the end users, new types of fixtures have been developed.
RECOGNITION / AWARD
ECCA was invited to present its experience in the Global Business Conference for Modern Lighting in the Lighting Africa 2008 event, Ghana organized by World Bank and the International Finance Corporation in May 6-8, 2008.
ECCA solar tuki program video was awarded in the Global Development Marketplace Amateur Video Contest 2008 organized by the World Bank, Washington DC, USA
Team Leader Prachet K. Shrestha participated in the Global Social Benefit Incubator (GSBI) program (Aug 2008) conducted by the Santa Clara University, San Jose, California, USA. During the course, Business plan was developed for further scaling of the solar tuki in Nepal; which was updated after returning to Nepal.
Thanks to the donor community of the Global Giving (and others as well), we are able to reach more no. of rural poor (who do not have the financial capacity to make down payment) through the credit and installment payback scheme (by using the revolving fund).
We would like to share a video with you about the solar tuki and its use in Nepal.
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.