During 2009 the Afghan Institute of Learning held 91 education workshops and seminars for a total of 1846 participants. About 71% of those attending these education training sessions were women.
Fahima a participant in the teacher health workshop, says “All the subjects were interesting, especially Tetanus because we are living an unhealthy environment. Tetanus can transfer immediately because the environment is dusty and unhealthy. Everyone must vaccine themselves, especially women who are between 15-45, to prevent a dangerous illness. Today I will inform every student and all my friends to take the tetanus vaccine to be safe from this disease. And I will convey all the topics the trainers taught us to my students to prevent them from dangerous diseases.”
Other AIL Accomplishments in 2009 included:
• AIL trained over 1,800 Afghan teachers in pedagogy subjects, leadership, human rights, and school health. These teachers went to their classes and directly impacted over 500,000 students teaching these important subjects.
• Nearly 23,000 students (primarily women and children) attended classes at AIL educational learning centers.
• Over 362,000 Afghans received medical treatment and health education from AIL’s 6 health clinics and community health worker program.
• In January 2010, AIL expanded humanitarian aid efforts with the harsh winter and reached out to 22 families in need. AIL staff delivered to each family quantities of rice, cooking oil and tea. Most heads of the family were widows with children from Herat, and were recommended by community members.
• In February 2010, flooding in the Enjil district of Herat destroyed many family homes, and AIL responded with a concerted effort of initial food aid.
Reminder: On March 16, 2010, GlobalGiving will be matching all donations made to any project on www.globalgiving.org by 30% (up to $1,000 per person)! If you could like to donate again to our project, your donation will go further on March 16th!!!
Project Reports on GlobalGiving are posted directly to globalgiving.org by Project Leaders as they are completed, generally every 3-4 months. To protect the integrity of these documents, GlobalGiving does not alter them; therefore you may find some language or formatting issues.
If you donate to this project or have donated to this project, you will get an e-mail when this project posts a report. You can also subscribe for reports via e-mail without donating or by subscribing to this project's RSS feed.
Founder & CEO