Dear Friends of KF,
Dear Friends of KF:
The second academic term has concluded in Zambia and we are excited to share the achievements and activities of our Kucetekela Foundation scholars and program.
As you know, KF currently supports 32 students at two secondary schools in Lusaka as well as 26 outstanding alumni who are working and studying across the globe. Our current students have maintained the high standard set by the KF scholars who preceded them and continue to inspire all of us. Here are a few of the highlights from Term 2:
• Two KF scholars attended the inaugural Yale Young African Scholars Program in August at the University of Ghana in Accra. From more than 1200 applicants, two KF scholars were offered places in this program organized and run by Yale University students and faculty members. The program is a week-long high intensity program to teach secondary students from Africa about global issues and strategize about innovative solutions. It was an honor to have KF students involved and they had an outstanding experience!
• Organized by KF alumni, we hosted our first official KF reunion event in August in Lusaka. Many of our alumni attended, all our current students were also there as well as several volunteers and local supporters of our program. This is certain to be an annual event!
• In July, KF welcomed our new Princeton-in-Africa Fellow – Olivia Thompson. This is the sixth year that KF has partnered with Princeton-in-Africa. Olivia is a 2014 graduate of University of Michigan with a degree from the Ford School of Public Policy. She plans to focus her fellowship at KF on expanding the academic tutoring systems for KF scholars as well as strengthening the gap year programs for KF alumni as they transition to tertiary education and formal employment.
• The KF students are high achieving outside the classroom as well. In Term 2, there was a major theatrical production of Oliver Twist at Pestalozzi Education Centre and seven KF students earned parts including several main roles. All students had a wonderful experience and did outstanding jobs!
• A team of volunteers and supporters undertook our third annual Bike for KF in New York City in September. This event has become an important fundraiser for KF and this year we had 16 riders participate and raised more than $25,000! The KF students made a video to motivate and thank the riders and we encourage you to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3n5fDzGojE&feature=youtu.be
Here is a letter from Margaret thanking her supporters.
Hello friends of KF!