Apply to Be Our New Unmarketing Manager
Do you love engaging and inspiring users/customers/donors? Do you try to convince everyone you know that amazing
customer service matters a lot more than amazing marketing? Do you find yourself agreeing with Seth Godin's latest
blog post so passionately that you have to stop yourself from screaming "YES!" in crowded areas? Do you want to work
on a website that actually makes an impact on people's lives?
GlobalGiving.org, an online marketplace for international grassroots charities, is looking for an Unmarketing Manager.
We're looking for someone that will do more than just tweet or poke - we need someone who will push our brand,
voice, ideas, and most importantly our users forward.
As the Unmarketing Manager, you'll be in charge of our individual donor unmarketing (and limited marketing) efforts.
You will be the voice of @GlobalGiving to our 21K followers on Twitter, our 10K fans on Facebook,
our 80K email subscribers, and the 141K donors that have supported a project on our site. In short, you'll be one of the key leaders of our Tribe.
You will be responsible for creating compelling, engaging content that informs, inspires, thrills, and connects our users.
You'll lead our social media presence and will work with the Director of User Experience (and the rest of our team) to
continually improve the content on our website and to increase user engagement and conversions in our emails.
As you can tell, we're not taking a typical approach to marketing, but we do use some more traditional marketing media
like Internet ads, t-shirts, and bumper stickers. We need your wisdom and creativity to make sure that these efforts
actually engage our users, customers, and donors. We want people to smile, laugh, share, and inspire others as a result of your - and our - work.
You'll be expected to bring your "A game" and help us improve ours. We're a team that thrives on peer learning. We hope
that you'll share your creative passion with the team and spread it over the nooks and crannies that is the English muffin
of GlobalGiving. We'll look to you to help us understand how to best engage our users and for your help getting us there.
Benefits include flexible work hours, a family-friendly culture, your choice of Mac or PC, a convenient downtown DC location, telecommuting options, and a meaningful job
where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped rescue 97 girls from bonded labor in Nepal." (One of many true stories.)
And don't worry - we've also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, and paid vacation.
- Strategy: Define, develop, execute, refine, rinse and repeat GlobalGiving's unmarketing strategy.
- Social Media: Build a large and loyal following for GlobalGiving in the social media space, ensuring that we maintain and improve our presence on Facebook, Twitter, and other relevant sites. Frequent personal and relevant engagement of enthusiastic donors and innovative nonprofit organizations, as well as ensuring all campaigns are powered by a social energy will be a critical piece of this role. #epic
- Wordsmith: Create and review outbound donor communications on our website, e-mail, and social networks. Assist the rest of the product development team with improving the copy on GlobalGiving.org so that we are consistent with outbound communications (and that there aren't any typographical errrors).
- Content Creator, Aggregator, and Optimizer: GlobalGiving has thousands of amazing projects. Your responsibility is helping to craft, edit, quote, remix, syndicate, summarize, and showcase this content so that it is digestible and engaging to our users. Help us identify and experiment with new and better ways to help our projects raise funds using this content. This covers everything from SEO, blogs, Tumblr, Flickr, and more.
- Customer Service: Customer service won't be your key focus, but everyone on the team pitches in to wow our customers and provide outstanding service to them. You will be expected to the do the same, particularly at first, as there's no better way to learn about our organization and website than to help others understand it, too.
- Voice: Improve, maintain, and work with the rest of the organization to ensure a consistent "voice" (tone, brevity, diction, etc.) in all communications.
- Brand Building: Identify and execute strategies to improve, promote, and clarify the GlobalGiving brand, working with the rest of the product team to improve the product accordingly. Brand awareness should be promoted within the organization and externally to partners, projects and donors.
- Competitive Analysis: Keep up-to-date with best practices in the industries as well as within our competitors and integrate learning into our strategy.
- Cutting Edge: Research and identify relevant new technologies, social networks, tools, or marketing tactics, that can improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving's marketing efforts or provide us with significant opportunities to motivate our donors. Help us know what we don't know and help us figure out the answers.
- Guru: As appropriate, make training materials and presentations for the project leaders on our site to help them understand how to leverage online tools to raise funds and unmarket themselves. In short, help "teach them how to fish". (Bonus points for "Here Fishy Fishy Fishy" level training.)
- Interact: Attend and participate in conferences, panels, or events in the industry to establish and keep GlobalGiving as a leader in the field.
- Numbers: Unmarketing doesn't always have clear-cut ROI. Trust us, we know. But some things can be measured. We'll need your help analyzing our website performance and unmarketing efforts to find out what's working, what's not, and what we need to do to fix it. And fix it we shall.
- Creative Campaigns: Help brainstorm, define, and execute online fundraising campaigns, applying all of the best unmarketing principles that you can to make it engaging and relevant to our audience. Part of this responsibility is having a good feel for which campaigns not to attempt, fix ones that aren't performing well, knowing when to pull the plug on ones that are failing.
- Gift Cards: You will be the lead on our gift card promotion efforts and will have a large target to hit each year. It ties in nicely to everything above, but it's substantial enough to merit a bullet point of its own in this list.
- In Case of Emergency or In the News: In the event of a major natural disaster or news event, quickly identify appropriate response and role for GlobalGiving and work with the rest of the team to ensure that we react and get our messaging out into our networks in a timely and relevant manner.
- Bachelors degree or higher.
- 1-3 years experience with social networks, marketing, and/or unmarketing.
- Proven experience with building a loyal following on Twitter and Facebook and demonstrated use or success with other relevant networks.
- Passionate about owning and advancing GlobalGiving's voice and brand across a variety of media, including website, social media, and email.
- Up-to-date knowledge of fundraising best practices and ability not only to implement said practices but to teach others how to do so as well.
- Ability to develop, execute, and iterate an effective unmarketing strategy with limited resources.
- Experience using tools like Google Analytics to perform analysis of a website or unmarketing campaign.
- Basic HTML and CSS skills (e.g. know how to bold, indent, change font size, make a simple webpage, and fix formatting problems).
- Sense of humor and desire to change the world.
- Basic graphic design and video editing skills (Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.).
- Up-to-date knowledge and ability to apply user interface design and user experience principles to web design.
- Vision of how different aspects of the web site fit together into a cohesive user experience and what elements need to be changed, added, or removed to improve the experience.
This is a full time position located in Washington, D.C. Salary range will depend on skill and experience.
GlobalGiving is an online marketplace that connects you to the causes and countries you care about. You select the projects you want to support, make a tax-deductible contribution, and get regular progress updates – so you can see your impact
Impact To Date
- Over $99.0 million in donations since 2002
- Over 9,200 projects have received funding
- Over 363,700 donors have given
Full Time Positions
The GlobalGiving Team
Meet the amazing team of people that work at GlobalGiving. We love what we do and we hope you do too.
How to Apply
REMEMBER - THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED AND WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING NEW APPLICATIONS! THIS IS JUST HERE FOR REFERENCE!
Interested? Great! This is where many job listings ask you to email your resume and a boring cover letter into some black hole. We're
sure you've done this before. We have too. And it's lame. You send it off all excited about the opportunity and never hear anything - or just get some auto-response saying that we're reviewing your application and then never hear anything.
So we're going to do something a little different. We still want you to email us your resume, but first, we want you to make sure that you want this job.
Seriously. Take this job for a test spin for an hour or two. Try out a couple of the tasks that you'll be leading (see above) and email us your results. Alternatively, take the time to show us that you really understand unmarketing and unmarket yourself to us. This should be fun and exciting, because if it's not, then do you really want to spend 40+ hours a week doing this?
So take that zest you're feeling right now, and run with it. Browse our site. Find some projects. Think up some interesting pitches/tweets/posts/whatever. We want to hear your voice and see your creativity, but most importantly, we want you to have fun. Any and all creative demonstrations are welcome, including, but not limited to:
- Writing a sample newsletter that you would send to engage our email subscribers. (Examples of past newsletters are here, here, here, here, and here)
- Show us how you would promote projects or content on Twitter or on Facebook.
- Tell us three specific changes you would make to the site to make it more engaging. Bonus points for mockups.
- Think outside of the box and unmarket yourself to us. If you pick this option, we trust that you know what to do.
Now, are you head-over-heels-in-love with this job? That's great! The team that you'll be joining is head-over-heels-in-love with their jobs too, so you'll fit right in.
Please email your resume and any files or links to Kevin with the phrase "Unmarketing Manager" somewhere in the subject line. Awesome and engaging cover letters are welcome, but are certainly not required. Boring or clearly copy-and-pasted cover letters from other applications will be marked as spam. Twitter based efforts should include hashtag #IWillLoveThisJob.
If you follow these directions and show us your passion, we promise that your email, resume, and anything else you send will be reviewed by a real person with the same thoughtfulness that you put into applying.
The world is full of problems. GlobalGiving is full of solutions. Solutions run by innovative, grassroots projects and organizations that are working to educate children, feed the hungry, build houses, train women (and men) with job skills, and hundreds of other amazing things. We run an online charity marketplace that gives social entrepreneurs and non-profits from anywhere in the world a chance to raise the money that they need to improve their communities. Since 2002, we've raised over $37 million from over 141,000 people to support more than 3,700 projects around the world.
Our office is located at 1023 15th Street, NW, Washington DC and is just a few blocks from the Farragut North (Red Line) and McPherson Square (Blue or Orange Line) Metro stations.