Digital Unmarketing Specialist
Thank you for your interest in this job. We have filled this position and are no longer accepting applications at this time.
Are you GlobalGiving's next Digital Unmarketing Specialist? Are you inspired by the idea of helping us plan, execute, and evaluate our digital unmarketing
efforts? If so, we'd love for you to join us to help coordinate our individual donor-facing campaigns through our e-newsletter, social media, search engine
optimization and AdWords account. But this position is about more than just writing compelling emails, tweeting witty comments, and posting brilliant
AdWords - as our Digital Unmarketing Specialist, you'll help us Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat.
to push GlobalGiving's brand, story, ideas, and (most importantly) our users forward.
As part of the role, the Digital Unmarketing Specialist will be responsible for creating and curating compelling, engaging content that informs, inspires,
thrills, and connects our users. This may come in the form of viral blog posts, inspirational emails, or a widely-shared Facebook posts. You will also
oversee SEO and SEM performance, and work with the team to continually improve the performance of our digital content. We want people to smile, laugh,
share, and inspire others as a result of (y)our work.
You'll join our Product Team and report to the Senior Unmarketing Manager and also work closely with the Chief Product Officer to improve many different
aspects of our digital presence.
Benefits include flexible work hours, a family-friendly culture, telecommuting one day a week, a convenient downtown DC location, and a meaningful job
where you can go home at night and say, "Today, my work helped rescue 97 girls from bonded labor in Nepal." (One of many true stories.)
And don't worry - we've also got the usual benefits like health care, dental/vision, commuter benefits, 401K, and paid vacation.
- Email: Write, send, analyze, and iterate on email campaigns. This includes both our monthly e-newsletter (unmarketing) emails as well our system-generated (transactional) emails. Help us grow our list, ensuring CAN-SPAM compliance, maintaining our stellar sender reputation, and keeping our unsubscribe rates low.
- Social Media: Build a large and loyal following for GlobalGiving in the social media space, ensuring that we maintain and improve our presence on Facebook, Twitter, and other relevant sites. This includes frequent personal and relevant engagement with enthusiastic donors and innovative nonprofit organizations, as well as ensuring all campaigns are powered by a social energy. #epic
- SEO: Monitor SEO performance of our site and identify improvements and opportunities for growth. Create or editing existing content and work with the rest of the team to implement necessary changes.
- Content Creator, Aggregator, and Optimizer: Help create or curate amazing content that we can publish on a variety of channels to drive donations, additional subscribers, and other goals as appropriate.
- SEM/AdWords: Oversee GlobalGiving's AdWords grant, either directly or with an intern/volunteer, to ensure that our budget is optimized and ads are driving meaningful traffic and conversions.
- Voice: Work with the Senior Unmarketing Manager to ensure a consistent voice (tone, brevity, diction, etc.) in all of GlobalGiving's communications.
- Wordsmith: Write excellent copy for donor communications on our website, e-mail, and social networks. Assist the rest of the product team with by improving (and testing!) existing copy on the website so that we are consistent with outbound communications (and that there aren't any typographical errrors).
- Listen, Act, Learn. Repeat.: Unmarketing doesn't always have clear-cut ROI. Trust us, we know. But GlobalGiving lives by a core value of experimentation and iteration. Help us design, run, analyze, and report on unmarketing experiments to find out what works for our users (and help us identify our failures).
- Model Best Practices: Constantly be on the lookout for social media resources for our nonprofit partners, make sure that GlobalGiving models excellent unmarketing practices, and train our nonprofit partners to do the same.
- Join the Superfriends: Thanks to a unique partnership, learn and share best practices both with our staff and with peers at other non-profits such as DonorsChoose.org, Kiva, and charity:water. As a part of this, keep up-to-date with best practices in the industry and integrate learning into our strategy and tactics.
- Be on the Cutting Edge: Research and identify relevant new technologies, social networks, tools, or marketing tactics, that can improve the efficiency of GlobalGiving's digital presence or provide us with significant opportunities to motivate our donors.
- In Case of Emergency or In the News: In the event of a major natural disaster or news event, quickly identify appropriate response and role for GlobalGiving and work with the rest of the team to ensure that we react and get our messaging out into our networks in a timely and relevant manner.
- Bachelors degree in marketing, communications, English, international studies, or information technology.
- Demonstrated excellence in digital copywriting, content creation and curation.
- 1-3 years experience with email marketing and managing social media accounts for an organization
- Experience creating and executing SEO and SEM strategy for an organization
- Passion for owning and advancing GlobalGiving's voice and brand across a variety of media, including website, email, and social media.
- Up-to-date knowledge of fundraising best practices.
- Ability to design and execute experiments across a variety of digital channels and to analyze and report upon the data.
- Experience using Google Analytics and email systems such as MailChimp or SendGrid.
- Graphic design, HTML and CSS skills preferred.
- A commitment to our core values, a sense of humor and the desire to change the world.
This is a full time position in Washington, D.C. Salary range will depend on skill and experience. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
How to Apply
Interested? Great! This is where many job listings ask you to email your resume and a boring cover letter into some black hole. We're sure you've done this before. We have too. And it's lame.
So we're going to do something a little different. We want you to make sure that you want this job, and that you'd be a good fit if we hired you!
So we invite you to take the job for a test run. Take that zest you're feeling right now and go with it! Along with your resume and cover letter, we want to see how you'd run an experiment with our e-newsletter. Here's how:
- Check out our previous e-newsletters.
- Think about an experiment you'd design using our e-newsletter to engage our subscribers.
- Write a one sentence hypothesis explaining your approach and how you'd measure success.
- Draft an awesome sample e-newsletter in the GlobalGiving style for your experiment.
This should be fun and exciting, because if it's not, then do you really want to spend 40+ hours a week doing this?
Please include your e-newsletter hypothesis (number 3 above) in your cover letter, and email that plus your resume and your sample e-newsletter to . Please format the subject line like this: "Your Name - Digital Unmarketing Specialist".
Update: Applications are due by June 1, 2014.
If you follow these directions and show us your passion, we promise that your cover letter, resume, and e-newsletter experiment will be reviewed by a real person with the same thoughtfulness that you put into applying.
The world is full of problems. GlobalGiving is full of solutions. Solutions run by innovative, grassroots projects and organizations that are working to educate children, feed the hungry, build houses, train women (and men) with job skills, and hundreds of other amazing things.
We run an online charity marketplace that gives social entrepreneurs and non-profits from anywhere in the world a chance to raise the money that they need to improve their communities.
Since 2002, GlobalGiving has raised $166,040,758 from 422,778 donors who have supported 11,714 projects.
For more information, browse our site, find a project that you care about, and see the change that you can make possible.
Our office is located at 1110 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington DC and is just a few blocks from the Farragut North (Red Line) and McPherson Square (Blue or Orange Line) Metro stations.
GlobalGiving is an online marketplace that connects you to the causes and countries you care about. You select the projects you want to support, make a tax-deductible contribution, and get regular progress updates – so you can see your impact
The GlobalGiving Team
Meet the amazing team of people that work at GlobalGiving. We love what we do and we hope you do too.
Impact To Date
- Over $166.0 million in donations since 2002
- Over 11,700 projects have received funding
- Over 422,700 donors have given
Full Time Positions
You'll Love Working Here
Here's what past employees and interns have to say about GlobalGiving:
GlobalGiving is truly an amazing organization to work at. The work environment is very open and fosters teamwork and innovation.
GlobalGiving went above and beyond my expectations for this internship. One of my favorite parts of the experience was just the opportunity to thrive in such a wonderful office culture. This office knows how to get awesome (world-changing) work done as well as have a good time.
Everything and everyone are so opened to talk, to help or to teach. I came as an intern, but I left as a member of a tight–knit community I will always belong to. My work was really meaningful... Best decision of my life!
Read more reviews on Glassdoor.com